Wayland Continues Advancing On Features, But XWayland Could Use Some Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Continues Advancing On Features, But XWayland Could Use Some Help

Phoronix: Wayland Continues Advancing On Features, But XWayland Could Use Some Help

Taking some time away from preparing the upcoming Wayland/Weston 1.9 release, Bryce Harrington at Samsung's Open-Source Group has written a blog post about the state of Wayland features and other ongoing work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When can we finally see Wayland/Mir by default in a distro? 1 year? 2? 5?

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
      When can we finally see Wayland/Mir by default in a distro? 1 year? 2? 5?
      Fedora 24 aims to be Wayland by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post

Fedora 24 aims to be Wayland by default.
        even in 23 support is damn good. if you're not bound to those few show stopper bugs that prevented this to happen in 23

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

even in 23 support is damn good. if you're not bound to those few show stopper bugs that prevented this to happen in 23
          I'm using Wayland right now on Fedora 22 and it's pretty damn good lol. I haven't gone out of my way to stress test it, just using firefox and virt-manager, but so far no problems.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

I'm using Wayland right now on Fedora 22 and it's pretty damn good lol. I haven't gone out of my way to stress test it, just using firefox and virt-manager, but so far no problems.
            There are a bunch of important fixes in Fedora 23 branch including copy/paste, drop/drag between X11 and Wayland as well as a few minor but nagging problems.

Comment

I was using gnome-wayland as a daily driver until yesterday, when it stopped working for me. I'm on arch, and using mesa-git, and linux-mainline, so I just assumed it was a temporary issue. or a configuration incompatibility.

Comment

Gnome-wayland working fine for me, though I haven't updated in a couple days.

One issue I noticed is if I open a new window in Firefox with ctrl+n, then try to focus the search bar with ctrl+k (without ever releasing ctrl), it'll just type the k in the search box on the page (I have duckduckgo as my homepage). Has anyone else experienced this, is it a known bug? Seems like maybe an xwayland/libinput bug, as I don't remember ever experiencing this in KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
                  I was using gnome-wayland as a daily driver until yesterday, when it stopped working for me. I'm on arch, and using mesa-git, and linux-mainline, so I just assumed it was a temporary issue. or a configuration incompatibility.

I think it should just be a matter of updating mesa-git again. There was a patch that disabled an openGL extension that wayland relies on. A patch landed yesterday that reverts this, back to the old behaviour. If this is what caused you problems then it should be fixed in mesa-master

Comment

Do you people use FF through Xwayland or the patched version released by a Red Hat guy?

Comment

Working...
                    X