Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland/Weston 1.9 Up To Release Candidate Phase

Phoronix: Wayland/Weston 1.9 Up To Release Candidate Phase

Wayland and its Weston reference compositor are up to their 1.9 release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is Weston missing?

What is Wayland missing?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      What is Weston missing?
      You won't be using Weston (probably)

What is Wayland missing?
      With the latest version of XDG-Shell i think the major stuff is done. Fedora 23 is supposed to be more or less complete for Gnome-On-Wayland. Current plans is Fedora 24 (next spring) will be Wayland-Default. Currently my only major complaint in general usage is copy-paste (supposed to be fixed in 23) and when I maximize apps they seem to ignore the right-most 10px or so.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

What is Weston missing?

What is Wayland missing?
        Compatible Drivers from nVidia

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Current plans is Fedora 24 (next spring) will be Wayland-Default.
          What? I thought they wanted to have Wayland as the default for Fedora 23?

Comment

Wonder what the Bryan Lunduke LinuxFest Northwest talk next year will be like. More games, better drivers and wayland. With Steam boxes you can even say they have healthy pre-install base. Guess Microsoft Office and Photoshop.

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post

They want a fully functional experience on Wayland for an entire release before switch on Wayland by default.

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post
                Fedora has an unofficial policy that Gnome On Wayland must be fully functioning and basically feature-complete for one release (23) before they can switch it over to the default (now 24). They wanted to make 22 be the "Future complete" release, which would then make 23 the switch-over release, but some outstanding bugs and features didn't get implemented so it got postponed. When Fedora 23 gets released you -should- be able to use it via Gnome On Wayland and have everything work perfectly, it just won't be the default.

Personally I updated earlier today and saw that there was a few gnome / GTK / wayland updates so I tried it out again.. All my biggest annoyances got fixed (maximize wasn't actually maximized) so I spent a few hours going about my usual routine. There were a couple glitches and oddities but I could very easily see myself using that as my day-to-day session. Good on the developers. But, obviously, your mileage may vary.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                X