Ubuntu Developer Proposes "Non-Windowing Display Server" For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Developer Proposes "Non-Windowing Display Server" For Wayland

Phoronix: Ubuntu Developer Proposes "Non-Windowing Display Server" For Wayland

Ubuntu developer Joel Leclerc has written a straw-man proposal for a non-windowing display server for Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why a display server??? Is he trying to make Xorg #2?

Why not just make a library instead? A simple library would be great and would not add much overhead.
    and a input server? really? Why everything must be a server?

I love the concept but please do not add another layer, wayland is simple and should stay like this, a library would be the perfect application for that.
    Last edited by gufide; 26 August 2015, 09:18 AM.

Comment

That sounds a bit like a what Weston's fullscreen shell does?

Comment

QtWayland similar has code and API to make writing wayland compositors easier.

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post
          That sounds a bit like a what Weston's fullscreen shell does?
          I believe it's more like libweston.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
            reading the proposal i got exact same impression. but, i'm still stuck at Ubuntu developer proposes "Non-windowing Display server" for Wayland. something in this sentence just spins my head

Why not just make a library instead? A simple library would be great and would not add much overhead.

I love the concept but please do not add another layer, wayland is simple and should stay like this, a library would be the perfect application for that.
            library would definitely make sense than introducing a layer which was one of major points why Wayland was brought in existence in the first place. whole point was getting rid of the cruft and make something lean, mean and simple

Comment

I smell Canonical investigates Wayland now. Feeling that Mir will, follow Upstarts faith

Comment

ok, this is just funny, but phoronix gets more terrible with each new iteration. worse and worse layout which is slower with each change, then they change editor to something really terrible and then again. now, it started eating posts? 3rd time now

that was my first guess too. but, the truth is i'm still stuck at Ubuntu Developer Proposes "Non-Windowing Display Server" For Wayland

library would definitely be better. whole reason for wayland was design complexity and removing unnedded parts

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                  I smell Canonical investigates Wayland now. Feeling that Mir will, follow Upstarts faith
                  More like they are trying to maintain a Wayland ovar Mir type of compositor so Wayland only applications will run on Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    He doesn't look like an ubuntu developer to me https://lkubuntu.wordpress.com/2013/...oughts-on-mir/ maybe a contributor but not a developer...

Comment

Working...
                    X