Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Continues To Divest In Wayland

Phoronix: Intel Continues To Divest In Wayland

In the earlier days of Wayland, Intel was known for contributing a lot of resources toward this next-generation display technology to unseat the X.Org Server, but these days their contributions have been minimal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland works. Mobile phones and tablets have it (jolla), tvs have it (some samsungs(??) i think). What remains is to sort out the desktop stuff. Which is what the rest of the companies work on.

Probably this is why hoegsberg stepped away and intel doesn't -seem to- care anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      Wayland works. Mobile phones and tablets have it (jolla), tvs have it (some samsungs(??) i think). What remains is to sort out the desktop stuff. Which is what the rest of the companies work on.

Probably this is why hoegsberg stepped away and intel doesn't -seem to- care anymore.
      not only that. lower level stack will define how it will run wayland ON Intel. at least to me, this seems like direction they are taking. Intel has no relation with stuff that is going in now

Comment

It's a good news for AMD Nvidia.

Comment

I'm not understanding the negative tone. Wayland was almost exclusively tested on the Intel open drivers for a time because it was the first to have Wayland running. However, people are not going to switch to Wayland without support from the proprietary drivers. As far as I know, that's the main dish that we're waiting on. There is no "downward spiral" which has a negative connotation to it, there's simply a lack of use of Wayland which leads to stagnation of it's development until it's used.

When people start using it, things like what's wrong with its design, where the bugs are, what can we add, etc. become much more clear. But since it's not being used right now, it's going to stagnate a little bit.

Comment

Wayland is largely unneeded on Desktop, that is likely why.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              is not that, simply wayland as a protocol basically has been done for a while. so it make sense intel and other focus their energy in the rest of the stack.

Don't confuse wayland with compositors/desktops/embedded, etc.

Simply put the protocol is done and few people are left to add specific use cases extensions, meanwhile the development force has moved away to implement that protocol in the rest of the stack(toolkits, compositors, desktops, embedded, ivi, drivers, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                unlike on server? more or less everything related to hw is already finalized, all that remain are desktop conforming features which are not related to Intel interests

Comment

I hate to bring up old stuff, but in a different reality this is really the point where one of the bigger distros would step in and finish off the desktop stuff. Ubuntu has (obviously) decided to go a different way. Debian and Red Hat likely won't get involved until it's a lot closer to being ready and the proprietary driver issue is sorted. The saddest part is Valve is likely going to be the one to nudge Nvidia to get it together and other things will fall into place from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
                    I hate to bring up old stuff, but in a different reality this is really the point where one of the bigger distros would step in and finish off the desktop stuff. Ubuntu has (obviously) decided to go a different way. Debian and Red Hat likely won't get involved until it's a lot closer to being ready and the proprietary driver issue is sorted.
                    You mean like the huge amount of work going into Fedora to make previews of Wayland/Gnome available in the last two releases, and the work going on to make it the default within the next 12 months? All that work which is largely being driven by funding from Red Hat?

Comment

Working...
                    X