Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.9 Proposed For Release Next Month

Phoronix: Wayland 1.9 Proposed For Release Next Month

A proposal is out to release Wayland 1.9 and the Weston 1.9 compositor before the end of September...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's new and interesting up the upcoming 1.9 release?

Comment

Hello,
      do you know when wayland will replace xorg ?
      And are there benchmarks to compare if wayland is faster / better than xorg ?
      thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by linuxcbon View Post
        Hello,
        thanks in advance
        aw

Xorg is gonna be around for awhile, if for no other reason than older apps not being ported over (XWayland). As far as when a distro will ship Wayland by default... Fedora 23 or 24 is the soonest. Fedora 23 is this Fall, 24 is next spring.

Generally Wayland should offer equal or better graphical performance than Xorg, but it should also offer lower CPU and memory usage and more efficient hardware usage for modern day hardware. You won't be able to directly see every benefit you might be experiencing from Wayland.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          aw

Xorg is gonna be around for awhile, if for no other reason than older apps not being ported over (XWayland). As far as when a distro will ship Wayland by default... Fedora 23 or 24 is the soonest. Fedora 23 is this Fall, 24 is next spring.

Generally Wayland should offer equal or better graphical performance than Xorg, but it should also offer lower CPU and memory usage and more efficient hardware usage for modern day hardware. You won't be able to directly see every benefit you might be experiencing from Wayland.

I dont understand ? Do you have a list of apps which work or dont work on Wayland ?
          For performance, do you have benchmarks or real figures ?
          Thanks.

Comment

I dont understand ? Do you have a list of apps which work or dont work on Wayland ?
            Thanks.
            When the distros are ready to enable wayland by default, end users should not really see any difference at all. this should just continue to work as before. If you are on battery you may see some improvements.

As for a definitive list of applications that work on wayland as native wayland clients - when the switch happens it will be most of the core apps provided by your Desktop Environment plus your web browsers and possibly your office suite.

Comment

Thanks.
              90% of apps will work fine under Wayland. That's the joy of XWayland-- native wayland apps will get rendered natively, applications which are NOT wayland native will get an X server fired up in the background which the Wayland compositor can interface with. You shouldn't notice any difference between the two.

Michael did performance benchmarks a while back, I'm sure he or I will do new ones once Fedora 23 gets released.

There's no definitive list of applications, as boxie pointed out. Most of the core Gnome apps are ported, with a decent chunk of the core KDE apps ported as well.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ayland-numbers -- Michael already did some benchmarks

Comment

Hello,
                  it already did for fedora login screen

Comment

Hello,
                    thanks in advance
                    The short answer that everyone seems to be strangely avoiding giving you is 2016. You can run Fedora with GNOME under Wayland now but Fedora 23 is when they intend to default, and you will be able to run Plasma under wayland in 5.4 which is to be released soon, but you'll probably want to wait till 5.5 or 5.6 to use it. Regardless the switchover should happen for most distros by their 2H2016 releases.

Comment

Working...
                    X