No announcement yet.

Intel Iris Pro 6200 Graphics Are A Dream Come True For Open-Source Linux Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Iris Pro 6200 Graphics Are A Dream Come True For Open-Source Linux Fans

Phoronix: Intel Iris Pro 6200 Graphics Are A Dream Come True For Open-Source Linux Fans

The Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 (GT3e) as the fastest Broadwell GPU boasting an eDRAM cache and 48 execution units is a dream for open-source fans. Backed by a fully open-source Linux graphics driver, the Iris Pro Graphics 6200 found on the socketed Core i7 5775C is a dream come true that can compete with mid-range Radeon graphics cards on their open-source driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At least on the first graph there does appear to be some frame timing issues. It seems likely that at least the first benchmark that radeon and geforce provided smoother gameplay.

Comment

So after like 10 years of being far behind they can finally keep up and your pissin' yourself with excitement? Had it been ATI/AMD you would have pissed all over them for taking so long to catch up. I call 'em as I see 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by nirvanix View Post
        So after like 10 years of being far behind they can finally keep up and your pissin' yourself with excitement? Had it been ATI/AMD you would have pissed all over them for taking so long to catch up. I call 'em as I see 'em.
        Longer than that 1998. Really starting from the 740 IGP. After all these years Intel finally made something that's ok-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          At least on the first graph there does appear to be some frame timing issues. It seems likely that at least the first benchmark that radeon and geforce provided smoother gameplay.

I know your looking at the spikes but also notice the minmax/avg frame draw times (at least for the first game). Other than the nvidia card, Intel had the tightest timings.
          What might be useful would be a frame draw binning that showed the percentage of draws requiring time t. A less useful, but easier statistic would be to show the 95th percentile.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

I know your looking at the spikes but also notice the minmax/avg frame draw times (at least for the first game). Other than the nvidia card, Intel had the tightest timings.
            What might be useful would be a frame draw binning that showed the percentage of draws requiring time t. A less useful, but easier statistic would be to show the 95th percentile.
            Oh I totally agree with you on that. I just don't have the ability to write something like that. I know a bit of shell and init scripting and a bit python, but by no means am I a programmer. I would love to see something like that though.

Comment

Originally posted by nirvanix View Post

Their speciality is not making gaming graphics chips. That is like comparing a stock Ford Focus and a Corvette; they aren't in the same class, and were never meant to be. Also, remember that this is an iGPU. It is not a full-on discrete card. It is embedded into the CPU itself. Even though they have been "far behind" in gaming graphics, they are 1 of only 2 major manufacturers of consumer CPUs on the planet. I'd say that they are just expanding their horizons using the technology that they have pioneered over their existence.

Comment

It would be far more interesting to see a benchmark comparison between this iGPU and iGPUs of high-end AMD APUs instead of pitting it against discreet ones...
                (which would also be much more useful for people wanting to build a little FOSS-friendly gaming box without a discreet graphics card)

Comment

Originally posted by librin.so.1 View Post
                  It would be far more interesting to see a benchmark comparison between this iGPU and iGPUs of high-end AMD APUs instead of pitting it against discreet ones...

I agree. That would be a nice benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post

I agree. That would be a nice benchmark.

+1 (stupid character limit)
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X