Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland On Mesa Now Supports DRI_PRIME, Render Nodes

Phoronix: Wayland On Mesa Now Supports DRI_PRIME, Render Nodes

Axel Davy has added support to Mesa's EGL code for supporting DRM Render-Nodes and with that supporting DRI_PRIME when using Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...IME-Mesa-Nodes

Can you change screen resolution without restart Wayland?
    Can you change which graphics card to use without restart Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      DRI_PRIME is about allowing a specific application to use the discrete GPU while the rest of the system is using the integrated GPU. So switching the GPU happens per app rather than the entire system. To change the GPU for a specific app all you need to do is restart that app (after setting the DRI_PRIME env variable obviously).

Comment

Couldn't find the sign-in link to save my life...should reduce spam some, maybe. XD

As far as changing resolution, it's sort of been Wayland's mantra that you shouldn't have to do that--just use the native resolution of your monitor and be done with it. That said, if your DE of choice allows changing the screen resolution, then you should be able to change it when using Wayland just fine, since it uses (more or less) the same mechanism as X (and, afaik, you don't need to restart X to change resolution).

Comment

Wasn't a full-Wayland setup supposed to obviate huge chunks of PRIME?

Comment

Wasn't there talk that wayland should support restarting the compositor without restarting all the running applications anyway? So restarting it with a different resolution should be fine either way...

There may be a need to change at least the frequencies. I have had this problem with ivy bridge graphics, which allows three monitors to be connected, but at least two of them need to be the same configuration, because it only has two "PLLs" or something. I then had two monitors that didn't always have the same preferred mode so I sometimes needed to change it so they would be the same to activate all three... So yes, changing the resolution settings has its place still.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
              Wasn't there talk that wayland should support restarting the compositor without restarting all the running applications anyway? So restarting it with a different resolution should be fine either way...
              Really, was there such talk? Could you link it?

Comment

Hm, I don't find it. I think it was not implemented, but people were talking about it. Perhaps even here in the forums? I think it was in the context of what happens when the compositor crashes, that it could just be restarted and the applications could be kept running in the meantime...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Yes, for about the past four years.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post

There may be a need to change at least the frequencies. I have had this problem with ivy bridge graphics, which allows three monitors to be connected, but at least two of them need to be the same configuration, because it only has two "PLLs" or something. I then had two monitors that didn't always have the same preferred mode so I sometimes needed to change it so they would be the same to activate all three... So yes, changing the resolution settings has its place still.

Maybe you mean this post.
                    https://plus.google.com/+MartinGr%C3...ts/HsMpE238jUL

"Spent this morning on the question "What should KWin do if the Wayland system compositor dies?". So far KWin in most cases just crashed if the socket went away. I'm using a QSocketNotifier to integrate with the Wayland socket and that notifier recognizes that the socket went away. But it doesn't let it's users know (I should probably add a signal in Qt). So KWin doesn't know and the compositor continues to run, tries to get a new wl_buffer and crashes.

No matter what the proper answer to the question is, crashing isn't. My KWin is now monitoring the socket file directly through QFileSystemWatcher and if it goes away I tear down compositor and the Wayland backend in a clean way. Furthermore I start to monitor whether the socket gets available again and if it does I reinitialize the Wayland backend and start the compositor again.

With other words: KWin survives a restart of the system compositor."

Comment

Working...
                    X