Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTown
    replied
    Wow, seems QtCompositor has a few years over Mir and Hybris has a good 9 months over Mir. Thank you all

I'm not sure how the work wank is being used in your post. Ha ha, especially considering the definitions I found while searching for this word on Google.

Edit: nm, it also means useless.
    Last edited by CTown; 03 May 2015, 12:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nobu
    replied
    I doubt, at least in the beginning, they would have worked with Canonical on modularizing Weston--it was meant as a reference compositor, never truly meant to be a full-on desktop (or mobile, for that matter) compositor, just to show others how they could implement certain features of the Wayland protocol.

That said, I doubt that they would have refused in helping Canonical to write their own compositor from scratch if it used the Wayland protocol, even if it started as a fork of Weston.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by CTown View Post

In Canonical's defense, they really wasn't anything like QtCompositor, libhybris, or libinput around the time of Mir's announcement. Everything had to be done from scratch. Though, they should've worked with the community more. Perhaps, they could have helped with modularizing Weston.
    Except that LibHybris was in fact around when Mir was announced and was in fact part of the rationale they hid behind.

Leave a comment:

• Akka
    replied
    Originally posted by gens View Post
    so logind and timedated ?
    logind existed for a while now under a different name
    timedated.. actually doesn't make it simpler to set the date, it's about the same complexity

just another wank blog
    Which name? I thought logind was written from scratch as a replacement for consolkit?

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied
    I meant systemd, the project; which logind is a part of. More parts of systemd simplify the desktop than just logind.

http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blo...emd-and-plasma
    so logind and timedated ?
    logind existed for a while now under a different name
    timedated.. actually doesn't make it simpler to set the date, it's about the same complexity

just another wank blog

Leave a comment:

• giucam
    replied
    In Canonical's defense, they really wasn't anything like QtCompositor, libhybris, or libinput around the time of Mir's announcement. Everything had to be done from scratch. Though, they should've worked with the community more. Perhaps, they could have helped with modularizing Weston.
    Actually at least QtCompositor and libhybris existed already. I don't remember when libinput was started but you're probably right about that.

Leave a comment:

• CTown
    replied
    only logind and libinput actually do anything for a wayland desktop
    that and ofc EGL (that is not only for opengl) and the other simplifications of DRI (buffers/framebuffers and modesetting)

systemd has nothing to do with that, other then logind being the session manager and udev supplying input device nodes
    bout of which existed before and still can be found outside of systemd
    (and have nothing to do with the graphics stack (DRI))
    I meant systemd, the project; which logind is a part of. More parts of systemd simplify the desktop than just logind.

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
    that is not the only joke. they needed phone support with drivers. and now they use libhybris,... go figure.

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
    I find it quite ironical, because the main excuse for mir was that input handling in wayland sucked or something like that.
    that is not the only joke. they needed phone support with drivers. and now they use libhybris,... go figure.

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied
    PS if you wanna thank somebody, thank embedded and DirectFB devs (there are probably others, like Kristian and mesa devs)

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied
    All input drivers will be based off libinput and all OpenGL graphics drivers will work through EGL support. Not only that, logind will be controlling user sessions. Systemd and the underlying stack of Wayland that took 6+ years to write is not only simplifying the stack for desktops that implement the Wayland protocol but also for Unity and X.org/XWayland!

Kind of shows everyone was over-reacting when stating Mir was going to complicate the already complicated graphics stack!
    only logind and libinput actually do anything for a wayland desktop
    that and ofc EGL (that is not only for opengl) and the other simplifications of DRI (buffers/framebuffers and modesetting)

systemd has nothing to do with that, other then logind being the session manager and udev supplying input device nodes
    bout of which existed before and still can be found outside of systemd
    (and have nothing to do with the graphics stack (DRI))
    Last edited by gens; 02 May 2015, 07:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X