X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by kurkosdr View Post
    The whole Mir coup was so Ubuntu Touch could share as much with Android as possible: input, protocol buffers and not just drivers, in order to ensure fast time-to-market for Ubuntu phones and tablets.
    Except the framework they use for sharing, hybris, was originally developed, and is still developed, by a third party for Wayland.

Originally posted by kurkosdr View Post
    but the facts are, after Nokia killed their Linux efforts (for the reasons we all know), Ubuntu is the only GNU/Linux which has shipped in phone hardware.
    Tizen and Jolla both shipped GNU/Linux Wayland-based smartphones before Ubuntu. And Jolla at least supports the same framework, hybris, that Ubuntu's phones depend on. Tizen doesn't need it, since Samsung has the power to make sure its devices don't need those sorts of kludges.
    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 10 May 2015, 11:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kurkosdr
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Great

Really nice that they are adopting libinput.
    So that X, Wayland and Mir will all run on one common input library.
    The whole Mir coup was so Ubuntu Touch could share as much with Android as possible: input, protocol buffers and not just drivers, in order to ensure fast time-to-market for Ubuntu phones and tablets.

Do you really think that Bq would have bothered making an Ubuntu Phone if they didn't have the ability to literally "drop it in", and instead had to do software development for it?

Do you really think ARM SoC vendors would have bothered doing software development for Ubuntu drivers?

Wayland was rejected because it didn't play as well with Android as Canonical wanted to, all the other "reasons" for rejection is Shuttleworth PR doublespeak.

PS: Look, I feel your resentment, as we now have two display servers, so anything that can't be abstacted away by frameworks/toolkits will have to be written twice, but the facts are, after Nokia killed their Linux efforts (for the reasons we all know), Ubuntu is the only GNU/Linux which has shipped in phone hardware.
    Last edited by kurkosdr; 10 May 2015, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• murraytony
    replied
    [QUOTE=You-;487044KDE have gone the other way of using Weston.[/QUOTE]

Kwin only used Weston as a bootstrap. They are working towards implementing their own wayland compositor, which is already showing signs of life.

This blog post is a rather important one for me. Not only is it the first blog post which I write in a nearby cafe sitting in the sun and enjoying spring, it is also the first blog post written in …

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
    Libhybris was created by Mer not Canocial.
    While I didn't state Mer's involvement, that's what I was getting at.

Leave a comment:

• Thaodan
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Except that LibHybris was in fact around when Mir was announced and was in fact part of the rationale they hid behind.
    Libhybris was created by Mer not Canocial.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
    which is exactly what i said
    oops. I should take mor time reading.

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    Originally posted by You- View Post
    AFAIK Gnome-shell/Mutter does not use Weston, neither does the Enlightenment WIndow Manager.

KDE have gone the other way of using Weston.
    which is exactly what i said, those are compositors and not Wayland. there are multiple compositors (Weston, Mutter...), but there is only one Wayland (since it is protocol).

note your original comment
    ...code duplication with other implementations of Wayland

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
    there are no other implementations of Wayland, just other compositors than Weston. and that is what Canonical should do in the first place, write Unity dedicated compositor just like Gnome and the rest are doing
    AFAIK Gnome-shell/Mutter does not use Weston, neither does the Enlightenment WIndow Manager.

KDE have gone the other way of using Weston.

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    Originally posted by You- View Post
    Which is why it was modularised.

Not to help Mir, but to avoid code duplication with other implementations of Wayland.
    there are no other implementations of Wayland, just other compositors than Weston. and that is what Canonical should do in the first place, write Unity dedicated compositor just like Gnome and the rest are doing

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by Nobu View Post
    I doubt, at least in the beginning, they would have worked with Canonical on modularizing Weston--it was meant as a reference compositor...
    Which is why it was modularised.

Not to help Mir, but to avoid code duplication with other implementations of Wayland.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X