A Lot Of Improvements Are Coming For Mir 0.13, Including Work Towards Libinput

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTown View Post
    In Canonical's defense, they really wasn't anything like QtCompositor, libhybris, or libinput around the time of Mir's announcement. Everything had to be done from scratch. Though, they should've worked with the community more. Perhaps, they could have helped with modularizing Weston.
    Actually at least QtCompositor and libhybris existed already. I don't remember when libinput was started but you're probably right about that.

Comment

I meant systemd, the project; which logind is a part of. More parts of systemd simplify the desktop than just logind.

http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blo...emd-and-plasma
      so logind and timedated ?
      logind existed for a while now under a different name
      timedated.. actually doesn't make it simpler to set the date, it's about the same complexity

just another wank blog

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
        so logind and timedated ?
        logind existed for a while now under a different name
        timedated.. actually doesn't make it simpler to set the date, it's about the same complexity

just another wank blog
        Which name? I thought logind was written from scratch as a replacement for consolkit?

Comment

In Canonical's defense, they really wasn't anything like QtCompositor, libhybris, or libinput around the time of Mir's announcement. Everything had to be done from scratch. Though, they should've worked with the community more. Perhaps, they could have helped with modularizing Weston.
          Except that LibHybris was in fact around when Mir was announced and was in fact part of the rationale they hid behind.

Comment

I doubt, at least in the beginning, they would have worked with Canonical on modularizing Weston--it was meant as a reference compositor, never truly meant to be a full-on desktop (or mobile, for that matter) compositor, just to show others how they could implement certain features of the Wayland protocol.

That said, I doubt that they would have refused in helping Canonical to write their own compositor from scratch if it used the Wayland protocol, even if it started as a fork of Weston.

Comment

Wow, seems QtCompositor has a few years over Mir and Hybris has a good 9 months over Mir. Thank you all

I'm not sure how the work wank is being used in your post. Ha ha, especially considering the definitions I found while searching for this word on Google.

Edit: nm, it also means useless.
              Last edited by CTown; 03 May 2015, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                I doubt, at least in the beginning, they would have worked with Canonical on modularizing Weston--it was meant as a reference compositor...
                Which is why it was modularised.

Not to help Mir, but to avoid code duplication with other implementations of Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                  Which is why it was modularised.

Not to help Mir, but to avoid code duplication with other implementations of Wayland.
                  there are no other implementations of Wayland, just other compositors than Weston. and that is what Canonical should do in the first place, write Unity dedicated compositor just like Gnome and the rest are doing

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                    there are no other implementations of Wayland, just other compositors than Weston. and that is what Canonical should do in the first place, write Unity dedicated compositor just like Gnome and the rest are doing
                    AFAIK Gnome-shell/Mutter does not use Weston, neither does the Enlightenment WIndow Manager.

KDE have gone the other way of using Weston.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                      AFAIK Gnome-shell/Mutter does not use Weston, neither does the Enlightenment WIndow Manager.

KDE have gone the other way of using Weston.
                      which is exactly what i said, those are compositors and not Wayland. there are multiple compositors (Weston, Mutter...), but there is only one Wayland (since it is protocol).

note your original comment
                      ...code duplication with other implementations of Wayland

Comment

Working...
                      X