Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeGLUT Ported Natively To Wayland

Phoronix: FreeGLUT Ported Natively To Wayland

FreeGLUT, the open-source replacement to GLUT for handling system-specific setup tasks like windowing system configuration and OpenGL initialization, now is natively supported on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"FreeGLUT Ported Natively To Wayland" -> "FreeGLUT is being ported to Wayland".

Comment

GLUT is an evil abdomination that shouldn't be used.
      But really, joke aside, if u need gl context u should use SDL2 or GLFW, as every sane person does, and if u can, use only gles2 fetures.
      That way u can run your proram on a toaster if it has a screen.

GLUT is part of our history, and big thanks to people behind this, this way old programs can be easily maintained for wayland. I just hope that i could say the same thing about x11 some day.

Comment

will spaceball 3d imput be supported.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: FreeGLUT Ported Natively To Wayland

FreeGLUT, the open-source replacement to GLUT for handling system-specific setup tasks like windowing system configuration and OpenGL initialization, now is natively supported on Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Wayland-Linux
        Freeglut support spaceballs. Wayland uses the new libinput, will libinput support 6 dof input devices ?

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Allen Lorenz View Post
          Freeglut support spaceballs. Wayland uses the new libinput, will libinput support 6 dof input devices ?

thanks.
          Not yet, at least not in libinput 1.0, but more and more device categories are being added every day. Adding support to libinput is not hard, just make a post in the mailing list asking for directions on how to proceed.

Comment

GLUT should obviously not be used for development any more, but could be useful to make old games run under Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Allen Lorenz
              There was code for spaceballs in the X11 backend ; I did not port it because I do not own such a device, there were lots of X11-specific things in the code, and I did not understand it as a whole.
              Just as BlackStar stated, it would be good to put it in libinput. Somebody owning a spaceball is welcome to do it, or I might be interested at some point if I happen to get my hands on such a thing .

Originally posted by efikkan
              GLUT should obviously not be used for development any more
              Would love to see arguments here .

Comment

Originally posted by Tarnyko View Post
                GLUT, due to it's design, is not suited to write performing games. GLUT limits the control over the event loop, rendering and so on.

Comment

I see your point. I think GLUT really is meant as a quick way to make GL demos and small games run on various platforms (this is how the nVidia guys use it in their SDK, e.g.). It allows you to get the GL thing running easily. If your targets are performance and control, though, and you are proficient enough to write such code, then I suppose you'll want to use the system native API directly.

(would be interested to know if alternatives -such as SDL- are better in this area, though)

Comment

Originally posted by Tarnyko View Post
                    I still use (free)glut to teach students OpenGL when starting out because it has low dependencies and allows them to get started with the important bit (OpenGL development) right away.

For actual commercial projects I always used the underlying platforms system (wgl on windows, glx on Linux, EGL/android.ui on android and sometimes Qt/GTK+/wxWidgets for hybrid/GUI projects). I only ever really use SDL for 2D projects. It is overkill for simply providing an OpenGL rendering context.

Comment

Working...
                    X