X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Originally posted by JS987 View Post
    Smart pointers are an option to avoid leaks, crashes, some security bugs when you don't have the time to implement a safe data allocation structure yourself.
    fixed it for you.
    Specializing my allocator classes for the current project is one of the first things i do usually.
    IMHO some memory management tools would be a nicer addition to the standard library than smart pointers...
    Last edited by Kemosabe; 22 February 2015, 03:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Originally posted by peppercats View Post
    do you have any tips for setting up mir on an amiga?
    lol, this guy here.

Seriously though, I have an amiga and would love to get mir up and running.

Leave a comment:

• JS987
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    I never use smart pointers. It's against my definition of clean and elegant coding.
    Am i a dummy now?
    Smart pointers are necessary to avoid leaks, crashes, some security bugs when application becomes complex.

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    I never use smart pointers. It's against my definition of clean and elegant coding.
    Am i a dummy now?

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
    stop trolling, mir is an ubuntu-specific thing (as far as I am aware nothing else intends on using it) that canonical will be the one sorting out. it's not going to be ANY hassle for you, and if you have a problem with 600KB then get a modern computer.
    I'm not trolling, I'm just being sarcastic.

On a serious not though:
    1. Even though Mir is Ubuntu specific, my answer is still valid for the "static vs dynamic linking" discussion. I'm a Gentoo user since 2002, and one of the the purposes of Gentoo is to have only dynamic, system-wide libraries that all programs link against. Sometimes you need version slots for specific packages, so you are able to have several versions of a library installed at the same time.
    But I know how often issues come up regarding dynamic linking when compiling from scratch, even though we have amazing Gentoo developers that try to minimize our problems.
    2. If I where to use Mir on Unity on Gentoo, since there is nothing stopping me from doing it, the problem would hit my system as well. So try to thing wider than Ubuntu vs Non-Ubuntu quarterly releases.

Leave a comment:

• jimbohale
    replied
    Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    Of course we do, since it also allows you to spend hours and hours of fixing library dependencies, library slots and multiple versions on your system! Why actually spend time on doing something productive instead?
    stop trolling, mir is an ubuntu-specific thing (as far as I am aware nothing else intends on using it) that canonical will be the one sorting out. it's not going to be ANY hassle for you, and if you have a problem with 600KB then get a modern computer.

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
    really people still care about anything less then 1MB of space?
    I could trow away 100GB right now and still have more then 1TB of free space -.-
    Of course we do, since it also allows you to spend hours and hours of fixing library dependencies, library slots and multiple versions on your system! Why actually spend time on doing something productive instead?

Leave a comment:

• TheSoulz
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Users totally appreciate the 600kb binary size increase.
    really people still care about anything less then 1MB of space?
    I could trow away 100GB right now and still have more then 1TB of free space -.-

Leave a comment:

• peppercats
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    do you have any tips for setting up mir on an amiga?

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe1 View Post
    -static-libstdc++ is your friend.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X