Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Updated For Latest Wayland Support

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Updated For Latest Wayland Support

For those wishing to experiment with the latest Wayland technologies, short of running the Weston compositor, the bleeding-edge development GNOME stack continues to serve as an excellent alternative with quickly adopting support for new functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael: do you think it is possible to switch to Wayland for a personal desktop computer? Or it's not stable/mature enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
      Michael: do you think it is possible to switch to Wayland for a personal desktop computer? Or it's not stable/mature enough?
      Wayland itself is stable enough, but the compositors and extensions aren't quite there yet. I'm going to assume that by 3rd quarter this year Gnome and KDE on Wayland will be 95% usable for day-to-day usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        Wayland itself is stable enough, but the compositors and extensions aren't quite there yet. I'm going to assume that by 3rd quarter this year Gnome and KDE on Wayland will be 95% usable for day-to-day usage.
        This ^
        Expect Distros of 2H2015 to have Wayland as a preview option in a very usable state and 1H2016 as default
        Edit: Fedora already has it as a preview btw.
        Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 18 February 2015, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Sounds about right assuming you're meaning they will work with Gtk/Qt using native Wayland backend instead of XWayland

Comment

Would you be able to use this on the Raspberry Pi? I have a RPi 2 which I want to use for learning programming (C++ / SDL2 initially), so I have a limited use-case. My only other requirement is I want to remote desktop, RPi server, Windows client. Is this something I can currently do without Xorg?

Comment

Fedora 22 will run login screen in Wayland. X will still be default for GNOME session, but Wayland option stays on login screen. I expect Fedora 23 to go wayland by default.

Comment

Fedora this Fedora that. I thought this topic is about GNOME on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                  Fedora 21 in its Wayland session works mostly fine. There are a few problems with drag and drop and XWayland is used pretty much everywhere but it's a great first step. I used it solely for a while.

Comment

Testing gnome 3.14 on wayland

Using an updated arch linux (radeon driver) with the new xorg-server-1.17.1, xorg-server-xwayland-1.17.1 and libinput 0.7 gnome 3.14 is working very well. I use my desktop for 14 hours without have to restart the shell. Use for 3 days and had to leave the wayland session to use virt-manager that do not work with the mouse and keyboard.

The apps is using xwayland by default but if you want to test them on native wayland backend jut put $GDK_BACKEND=wayland CLUTTER_BACKEND=wayland "command"

There is some problems with combobox do not showing the selected item, gthumb slide show do not stay on fullscreen using gtk wayland backend.

I can't run a sdl2 game with wayland backend, the image got corrupted (I tested neverball).

Stem menus have incorrect position when I hover the mouse cursor on it. (using xwayland). I tested left4dead2 and it work, but slower than on x11 - mutter continues compositing fullscreen windows in this version.

Therefore gnome 3.14 is upon libinput 0.7 (actual version is 0.10) with the xwayland update the situation of mouse acceleration is much better.

Gnome-mplayer works fine with gl output on xwayland. Using vdpau and vaapi it don't show the image.

Totem works. sushi works and every gnome core app work fine with both wayland and xwayland.

I can't test gnome-wayland session on notebook - the last time i did the touchpad click do not work. I had to use the physical click instead.

Comment

Working...
                    X