GTK+ Finally Supports Minimizing Windows On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grege View Post
    That is handy info, I must try a different mouse. I currently use a Logitech wireless mouse.
    Likewise. The mouse is just too sensitive; when I try and click a button it often moves enough that the cursor is no longer over the button. I expect it'll be better in 3.16 though.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      This is the logic why many people hate Gnome 3. Gnome 4 probably won't even have a desktop, because based on this logic, it is completely useless. It doesn't even have icons...
      You might be shocked by this, but this is exactly how tiling WMs handle this for years: No desktop, because it is useless, it is hiding behind your windows all the time. And guess what? It works just fine. I wouldn't blame Gnome 4 for doing it the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by benohb View Post
        (snip)
        How i can run Windows95 programs on w7 "Proprietaryos" and can not do this on "opensourceOS".
        (snip)
        You can not.
        Only via WINE.

I see what you mean with GTK3 breakages, and support that major versions should have stable ABI and should support multiversion install - so that its possible to have GTK3.1xx and GTK3.2xx libraries installed in case some of the software is not upgraded yet. But ultimately, they should be dropped, as outdated software can only properly work inside emulation or projects similar to WINE - that emulate a toolkit on per-bug basis.

Originally posted by benohb View Post
        Philosophy break
        Last edited by brosis; 13 February 2015, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
          I'm nobody to tell what to do, but WTF, you are using it wrong as Steve Jobs will say. What's the point of use Gnome if you will load tons of extension to look like mate and unity? Having a taskbar on top and lateral really? And if you have a taskbar you NEED the minimize buttom
          So go into:
          Tweak Tool (a.k.a. Advanced Settings) -> Windows -> Titlebar Buttons
          and then toggle Minimize and/or Maximize to On... Simple as that. This has been supported in gnome3 for multiple releases now, it just isn't the default behavior. Gnome Shell is very customizable if you don't like its default behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
            So go into:
            Tweak Tool (a.k.a. Advanced Settings) -> Windows -> Titlebar Buttons
            and then toggle Minimize and/or Maximize to On... Simple as that. This has been supported in gnome3 for multiple releases now, it just isn't the default behavior. Gnome Shell is very customizable if you don't like its default behavior.
            The only reason it has to be customizable is because nobody likes it's default behavior. The sad part is that gnome devs have been steadily fighting customizability from the beginning. It happened by force of will despite gnome, not because of gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              The only reason it has to be customizable is because nobody likes it's default behavior. The sad part is that gnome devs have been steadily fighting customizability from the beginning. It happened by force of will despite gnome, not because of gnome.
              Would you hazard a guess at how many people use default KDE settings?

Gnome 3 is no different. it takes no longer to pop up https://extensions.gnome.org/ and pick the ones that are functionally useful for you than it does to configure KDE.
              Hell, it takes me longer to configure KDE than it does Gnome 3 because all the settings are in one place.

What are talking about? Gnome 3 was designed from the start with extensions in mind. Why do you think they have a website dedicated to them?

Do you have any examples of Gnome taking steps to shutdown extensions? Or is this another attempt to bash a systemd related project without any actual validity? Gnome created their Human interface guidelines for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                Would you hazard a guess at how many people use default KDE settings?

Gnome 3 is no different. it takes no longer to pop up https://extensions.gnome.org/ and pick the ones that are functionally useful for you than it does to configure KDE.
                Hell, it takes me longer to configure KDE than it does Gnome 3 because all the settings are in one place.

What are talking about? Gnome 3 was designed from the start with extensions in mind. Why do you think they have a website dedicated to them?

Do you have any examples of Gnome taking steps to shutdown extensions? Or is this another attempt to bash a systemd related project without any actual validity? Gnome created their Human interface guidelines for a reason.
                Well, to be honest I haven't really given gnome a fair shot recently. So in a way you are right.

EDIT: what I mean is, I don't want to disrespect the people in the gnome camp that made something they like.
                Last edited by duby229; 13 February 2015, 03:31 PM.

Comment

That is not true at all. GNOME Shell from the very beginning was designed and developed with easy customization in mind. Using Javascript was in part to make it trivial to modify behavior and prototype new changes. http://extensions.gnome.org and GNOME Tweak Tool were written by core GNOME developers as well. It is true that some developers believe that extensions expose too many things and go too far towards making it harder to change core code. This is a valid concern that needs to be addressed with time as extensions API mature.

What is also well known is that most regular users stick to defaults in any environment and that has been confirmed numerous times by usability studies. Linux desktop users might be a little bit different but the number of extensions installed by many users is going to be pretty minimal as well judging by extensions.gnome.org download numbers.

Comment

Gnome

Half the Gnome knockers complain that Gnome is not customisable and the other half complain that it is too customisable. Complaints that it should be perfect for everybody on first install and that you should never change the defaults.

Seriously?

The extensions system is what makes Gnome Shell great. Each Gnome Shell user has it set up the way they want, not the way a handful of devs think should be fine for everyone. There are more than twenty pages of extensions on https://extensions.gnome.org Add Tweak Tool and you have many many more settings to alter to your preference. Yes, you can build a Gnome 2 copy if that is what you want, except all that is needed is to log into Gnome Classic. Newsflash - most Gnome users use Gnome not Gnome Classic.

Extensions are not bandaids fixing things that are not in the default layout, extensions give you choice. The default install is plain, simple and basic - a start point.

So it is really simple. If you do not like Gnome Shell do not use it. There are Mate and Cinnamon for your needs. Do not read articles about Gnome and stay out of the discussions. I promise not to make stupid comments about Mate or Cinnamon or KDE or Xfce4 or LXQT in discussions of articles about them.

Comment

Well, to be honest I haven't really given gnome a fair shot recently. So in a way you are right.

EDIT: what I mean is, I don't want to disrespect the people in the gnome camp that made something they like.
                      Here this is what I use. Mabye you can try it out.

Antergos Gnome: It uses LightDM in case you are using an AMD card. A Catalyst GDM patch is available if you need to use GDM.

Extensions:
                      Applications menu=Category based menu for top bar
                      Caffeine=disables screensaver and auto suspend
                      Dash to Dock=adds the favorites dock to main window. Autohideable
                      Easyscreencast=adds screencast controls to top bar
                      Hide app icon=hides the top bar application icon
                      Hide top bar=allows autohide for top bar. hotcorner must be reenabled in these settings after install.
                      Impatience=speeds/slows all animations. Adjustable
                      Insensitive message tray=bottom message tray only availabe in overview
                      Lock keys=numlock and caps lock settings for top panel
                      Places status indicator=open default file manager from top bar drop down menu, such as home/downloads/videos
                      Remove dropdown arrows=removes arrows from top bar drop down menus and saving space. menus still work normally
                      Settingscenter=drop down settings for top bar main settings such as dconf/advanced settings...etc
                      Shutdowntimer=adds a simple shutdown timer to main top bar drop down
                      Volume mixer=adds separate sliders for all audio applications
                      Weather=adds a weather drop down to main bar
                      Workspaces to Dock=Right autohidable window switcher. It shows the actual window content in a realtime thumbnail. Icons can be added to each window allowing fine
                      grained application switching. A favorites bar similar to Dash to Dock can be added, as well as an applications menu.

All docks/panels are on instant autohide with zero delays on show, or hiding
                      Installed Thunar to use instead of the gnome file manager. I still use the gnome one for file searching
                      Firefox with Htitle(hides top border)
                      Audacious used for music player(it always remembers track position)
                      Tixati for bittorrent: It is the only torrent client that has never let me down. Small, fullfeatured, and fast.

move all your open apps to different workspaces and use the switcher or the left pop out dock to move between them.
                      Multiple clicks will switch between different instances of the same application. You can also separate them between workspaces.
                      Startup ram used ~300
                      boot time on 7200rpm platter with 32mb cache from grub ~ 12-13 seconds

Set it up that way and try it for a few days. You might just be surprised.
                      It cant hurt anyway. Plasma 5 is still months from being a daily driver IMO.
                      And if you are using something else it might be good to get into a DE that will support Wayland.
                      Last edited by grndzro; 14 February 2015, 12:52 AM. Reason: more

Comment

Working...
                      X