GTK+ Finally Supports Minimizing Windows On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke View Post
    ...GIMP as of now is staying on Gtk2, the SpaceFM project got so disgusted with Gtk3 constantly removing functionality or hiding it behind options they considered removing Gtk3 support. Assuming Gtk4 does not support icons in menus, etc, I am assuming that at some point either Gtk2 will have to be ported to Wayland or a community fork of Gtk3 with "deprecated" features returned to first-class status will be created. My guess is the MATE project could do either, or the LinuxMint devs maintain the Gtk3 fork just as they forked gnome-shell to become Cinnamon.
    Just from a technical perspective wouldn't porting to Qt (using just the widgets, not QML) be easier than maintaining an entire toolkit? Especially, if every app maintainer works just on his or her own app. The LXQt guys have documentation on the very subject. Plus, to paraphrase LXQt's 0.9 release notes, KDE Frameworks provided easy to use libraries for a Qt5-based desktop to minimize direct dependence on Wayland and X.org.

Comment

I actually feel I'm most of the time missing always-on-top windows, not minimizable windows regardless of OS. I often bump into wanting to have eg image viewer hover over a browser so I can type text from the image to some bugzilla or whatever

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
        Then you either use an extension that turns back minimize (might be in the official tweak tool already) or use something else that suits you better.
        You don't even need an extension - despite all the fuss, Gnome supports minimize just fine, out of the box. The only thing it doesn't do is include a visible Minimize button - you have to right-click the title bar to bring up a menu instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          Of course you can. No idea what the story is about. It works just fine in regular F21.
          I suppose F21 ships GNOME 3.14. So, even when running GNOME Wayland session, GTK+3 apps will run in X11 backend through XWayland. In GTK+ 3.16, the backend detection has been enabled, thus apps will run on the Wayland backend if Wayland compositor is running, otherwise they'll run on the X11 backend. If you start a GTK+3 based app from a terminal while setting GDK_BACKEND variable to wayland, you'll see that minimize doesn't work (as expected, as it wasn't implemented 'till now).

Comment

I don't see MATE or Cinmamon porting to QT

Originally posted by CTown View Post
            Just from a technical perspective wouldn't porting to Qt (using just the widgets, not QML) be easier than maintaining an entire toolkit? Especially, if every app maintainer works just on his or her own app. The LXQt guys have documentation on the very subject. Plus, to paraphrase LXQt's 0.9 release notes, KDE Frameworks provided easy to use libraries for a Qt5-based desktop to minimize direct dependence on Wayland and X.org.
            I really don't think MATE or Cinnamon will ever port their work to QT. More likely they would simply stay off Wayland. If nothing else this would break themes unless trolltech.conf was edited to force use of the GTK "style" which tracks the Gtk2 theme. Any of these users with KDE also installed and running a different theme there would get a nasty surprise from that. Porting a whole DE from one widget family to another is a huge amount of work, the Gtk3 support work MATE is doing has been going on over a year and still is not finished. MATE has Wayland on their roadmap, I think that's the main reason for the Gtk3 port.

Much to GNOME's seeming displeasure, 3ed party apps do in fact use Gtk3, notably cairo-dock. Gtk3 allows cairo-dock to do things in terms of custom themeing that would be difficult or impossible in Gtk2. Although it is considered inefficient to mix Gtk2 and Gtk3 apps (at least in terms of RAM use), the reality is that so long as Firefox is Gtk2 (because Flash is Gtk2), a Gtk 3 only desktop is not possibly while running Firefox. If you want to run Firefox and also run Cairo-dock, you now must load both toolkits and which version any other app uses becomes of no further consequence except for that app.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
              the reality is that so long as Firefox is Gtk2 (because Flash is Gtk2), a Gtk 3 only desktop is not possibly while running Firefox.
              That one's coming along slowly. I believe the solution was to have some of the core libraries built against both Gtk versions, so that the browser itself could use Gtk3, and the (out-of-process) plugin would use Gtk2. But it's quite a big change to the build system, to build multiple versions of the same libraries, which I think is why progress is so slow.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                LXDE was never ported to qt. LXQT is RazorQt renamed to LXQT. The only thing they ported was the file manage. http://blog.lxde.org/?p=1312
                Last edited by Akka; 12 February 2015, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                  LXDE was never ported to qt. LXQT is RazorQt renamed to LXQT. The only thing they ported was the file manage. http://blog.lxde.org/?p=1312
                  I.e. the thing that actually renders the desktop.

Comment

or use Tweak Tool

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                    You don't even need an extension - despite all the fuss, Gnome supports minimize just fine, out of the box. The only thing it doesn't do is include a visible Minimize button - you have to right-click the title bar to bring up a menu instead.
                    Exactly. A lot of criticism from people who do not use Gnome and in general spout a lot of hot air (if you can do that with a keyboard).

I just use Tweak Tool to set middle click on the title bar to minimise although I hardly ever use it.

The best part of Gnome 3 is the endless ways you can customise it using extensions. But even the built in options in Tweak Tool are fairly extensive.

On the actual topic - The biggest problem I have with Gnome on Wayland is erratic mouse behaviour. I am using Debian Sid and Gnome 3.14. I check each time Wayland updates waiting for the fix. I hope once we get 3.16 it will all just work.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
                      On the actual topic - The biggest problem I have with Gnome on Wayland is erratic mouse behaviour. I am using Debian Sid and Gnome 3.14. I check each time Wayland updates waiting for the fix. I hope once we get 3.16 it will all just work.
                      Didn't notice that on F21... the broken drag-drop was the only significant problem I encountered, in a week of trialing Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X