No announcement yet.

GTK+ Finally Supports Minimizing Windows On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why in the bloody hell would I need to minimize anything in Gnome......

Workspaces to Dock makes that completely irrelevant.
    Drag it to a new workspace and switch to it when you need to using the Dash to Dock or Workspace switcher
    Last edited by grndzro; 12 February 2015, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
      No idea how shading can be faster than minimizing. If its button pressed on titlebar then its same. If its keybinding - minimize can be bound to key. Hell i even have a dedicated button on my mouse for minimizing active windows. Get IM message > read > minimize, now im back to browser/IDE/whatever doing the usual stuff. It is still one of essential functions. But you know.. Gnome is gnome and we dont get their vision
      You can shade by using the scroll wheel on your mouse. It's faster than minimizing because it takes no precision at all to do it.

@kaprikawn
      Right - freedom of choice, meaning, if you don't like GNOME, don't use it. I do think the GNOME 2 was better in the sense that you had more ways to tweak it, but, most of the features GNOME 2 offers, XFCE and KDE also offer. I like GNOME 3 because it is very unique and has a good balance between keyboard/mouse friendliness and touch screen friendliness. Though, I currently don't have a device with a touchscreen (besides my phone) so I don't use gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        The thing is that is one way of working, and the way the Gnome devs are pretty much prescribing how I should work if I use their DE. What if I don't want to use multiple workspaces, what if I like minimizing stuff instead?
        Then you either use an extension that turns back minimize (might be in the official tweak tool already) or use something else that suits you better.
        I don't think it would be fair if I required $OTHER_DE to add an overview just so I as a GNOME user would feel at home.
        The arrogancy of "this doesn't work for me so it must suck for everyone" is quite obnoxious.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
          Why in the bloody hell would I need to minimize anything in Gnome......

Workspaces to Dock makes that completely irrelevant.
          Drag it to a new workspace and switch to it when you need to using the Dash to Dock or Workspace switcher
          I'm nobody to tell what to do, but WTF, you are using it wrong as Steve Jobs will say. What's the point of use Gnome if you will load tons of extension to look like mate and unity? Having a taskbar on top and lateral really? And if you have a taskbar you NEED the minimize buttom

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
            And if you have a taskbar you NEED the minimize buttom
            Since when? All open windows are represented on the window list, so one click there moves the desired window to the front. No need for minimise.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              To be fair, the GNOME devs are kind of right (especially with the way GNOME is laid out). Since I've been using linux, regardless of the DE I'm using, the only reason I minimize something is if I want to access an icon on the desktop and all of my workspaces are filled. And even then, most of the time I just shade windows, since it is much faster to shade than to minimize. Since GNOME dynamically adds/removes workspaces (and doesn't have desktop icons by default) there is literally no need to minimize on it. Note: I don't have GNOME installed on any of my systems, I just know about how it works.
              This is the logic why many people hate Gnome 3. Gnome 4 probably won't even have a desktop, because based on this logic, it is completely useless. It doesn't even have icons...

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
                I'm nobody to tell what to do, but WTF, you are using it wrong as Steve Jobs will say. What's the point of use Gnome if you will load tons of extension to look like mate and unity? Having a taskbar on top and lateral really? And if you have a taskbar you NEED the minimize buttom
                Those are all on instant autohide, and it looks nothing like mate or unity.

Comment

Now I am sure RHEL8 will come with Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    You can shade by using the scroll wheel on your mouse. It's faster than minimizing because it takes no precision at all to do it.

@kaprikawn
                    Right - freedom of choice, meaning, if you don't like GNOME, don't use it. I do think the GNOME 2 was better in the sense that you had more ways to tweak it, but, most of the features GNOME 2 offers, XFCE and KDE also offer. I like GNOME 3 because it is very unique and has a good balance between keyboard/mouse friendliness and touch screen friendliness. Though, I currently don't have a device with a touchscreen (besides my phone) so I don't use gnome.

I'm actually using latest stable Gnome at my church with a 27" touchscreen and the touchscreen features are rock solid for what we use if for. Can't complain but everyone is different. Not sure if gestures is supported but that would be a plus if it's not already.

Comment

Gnome/GTK? No Wonder GIMP sticks to GTK2

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                      The article probably means that now Gnome/gtk does it the Wayland way (thru the "de facto" standard XDG extension), before this it gtk minimized windows in a Gnome-specific way.

It doesn't change the fact that Gnome/gtk makes wacky design decisions too often to be taken seriously e.g. by hiding by default the minimize button or the wacky system tray design, or whatnot.
                      The odd thing about all this is that GTK was originally GIMP toolkit, repurposed by early versions of GNOME because of licensiing issues with the first versions of QT. Gnome meant GNU Object Model Enviroment (or something very close to that), yet current "full GNU" operating systems can't even practically use GNOME today on some hardware because they can't run hardware 3d without video firmware blobs and LLVMpipe requires a lot of CPU power for a reasonably responsive desktop. While few run this type of OS today, it does raise an issue with the GNOME name.

GIMP as of now is staying on Gtk2, the SpaceFM project got so disgusted with Gtk3 constantly removing functionality or hiding it behind options they considered removing Gtk3 support. Assuming Gtk4 does not support icons in menus, etc, I am assuming that at some point either Gtk2 will have to be ported to Wayland or a community fork of Gtk3 with "deprecated" features returned to first-class status will be created. My guess is the MATE project could do either, or the LinuxMint devs maintain the Gtk3 fork just as they forked gnome-shell to become Cinnamon.

Comment

Working...
                      X