Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ Finally Supports Minimizing Windows On Wayland

Phoronix: GTK+ Finally Supports Minimizing Windows On Wayland

With GNOME 3.16 the developers are working hard at making their native Wayland support be rock-solid and reliable for day-to-day use for those wishing to abandon running their GNOME desktop on an X.Org Server. An important feature has finally landed for GTK+ applications in the Wayland world: the ability to minimize windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Eh? Does that mean you can't currently minimize when using the latest version of Fedora when you select the Wayland session?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Eh? Does that mean you can't currently minimize when using the latest version of Fedora when you select the Wayland session?
      What did you expect? It's GNOME! They even hide the minimize button in GNOME for X11. By their design, they think minimize functionality should be avoid and hidden from the user because it would add clutter to the interface and it's not THAT useful anyway. Now GNOME application will now be able to minimize (with the decoration button) on other compositor that allows minimizing by default.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        Of course you can. No idea what the story is about. It works just fine in regular F21.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          Of course you can. No idea what the story is about. It works just fine in regular F21.
          The article probably means that now Gnome/gtk does it the Wayland way (thru the "de facto" standard XDG extension), before this it gtk minimized windows in a Gnome-specific way.

It doesn't change the fact that Gnome/gtk makes wacky design decisions too often to be taken seriously e.g. by hiding by default the minimize button or the wacky system tray design, or whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
            What did you expect? It's GNOME! They even hide the minimize button in GNOME for X11. By their design, they think minimize functionality should be avoid and hidden from the user because it would add clutter to the interface and it's not THAT useful anyway. Now GNOME application will now be able to minimize (with the decoration button) on other compositor that allows minimizing by default.
            To be fair, the GNOME devs are kind of right (especially with the way GNOME is laid out). Since I've been using linux, regardless of the DE I'm using, the only reason I minimize something is if I want to access an icon on the desktop and all of my workspaces are filled. And even then, most of the time I just shade windows, since it is much faster to shade than to minimize. Since GNOME dynamically adds/removes workspaces (and doesn't have desktop icons by default) there is literally no need to minimize on it. Note: I don't have GNOME installed on any of my systems, I just know about how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              It doesn't change the fact that Gnome/gtk makes wacky design decisions too often to be taken seriously e.g. by hiding by default the minimize button or the wacky system tray design, or whatnot.
              GNOME3 has been out a really long time now, so it seems like this "wacky design" has worked well enough.
              I don't grieve the minimize button. You could just as well argue that it is "wacky" that people use window managers that require a minimize button to work. Each to their own and all that...

Comment

No idea how shading can be faster than minimizing. If its button pressed on titlebar then its same. If its keybinding - minimize can be bound to key. Hell i even have a dedicated button on my mouse for minimizing active windows. Get IM message > read > minimize, now im back to browser/IDE/whatever doing the usual stuff. It is still one of essential functions. But you know.. Gnome is gnome and we dont get their vision

Comment

Well Gnome is not designed for minimize apps, sure you can use gnome tweeak and add the minimize buttom to wherever is left from the Windows bar, but you must not be minimizing windows you have to move the mouse pointer to the left upper and then you get all the opened windows, next you select the desired windows and so on. You can also use 2 windows side by side. But minimize is one of the most stupid thing to do on Gnome, if you are not using some extension to have a bar like gnome classic.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    To be fair, the GNOME devs are kind of right (especially with the way GNOME is laid out). Since I've been using linux, regardless of the DE I'm using, the only reason I minimize something is if I want to access an icon on the desktop and all of my workspaces are filled. And even then, most of the time I just shade windows, since it is much faster to shade than to minimize. Since GNOME dynamically adds/removes workspaces (and doesn't have desktop icons by default) there is literally no need to minimize on it. Note: I don't have GNOME installed on any of my systems, I just know about how it works.
                    The thing is that is one way of working, and the way the Gnome devs are pretty much prescribing how I should work if I use their DE. What if I don't want to use multiple workspaces, what if I like minimizing stuff instead?

Free software also includes the freedom to make bad workflow decisions.

Comment

Working...
                    X