X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drSeehas
    replied
    Originally posted by alexa
    I saw one at my local Sony Style store. The pq is pretty sweet but it would look better on a big screen.
    ??? You saw a commit at a Sony Style store?

Leave a comment:

• anda_skoa
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Hey if I can do ssh -Y hostname on Wayland then I ain't going to criticize.
    Isn't that something ssh would need to provide support for?

It seems to be rather slow on adding forwarding capabilities, let alone short convenience commandline switches.

E.g. D-Bus is a major Unix socket based communication channel, has been in use by UI applications for over a decade, but last time I checked there was no ssh option akin to -X that would create the necessary socket+environment on the remote side for apps to connect to.

Cheers,
    _

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post
    If you are using ssh -Y instead of xpra, then you must be only doing it only in your local network. X11 forwarding implementation of ssh is garbage.
    You'd better wish for a well-designed remoting protocol instead of having the "ssh -Y" version of wayland.
    I'm only on my local network but I will check out xpra. Thanks for the heads-up.

Leave a comment:

• Viper_Scull
    replied
    Hey if I can do ssh -Y hostname on Wayland then I ain't going to criticize. But if I can't, I'm not using it.

I don't care if that's called network transparency or network aware or scraping pixels, I'm just saying that some of us little people out here rely on some of these features that have been a part of X since time immemorial.
    If you are using ssh -Y instead of xpra, then you must be only doing it only in your local network. X11 forwarding implementation of ssh is garbage.
    You'd better wish for a well-designed remoting protocol instead of having the "ssh -Y" version of wayland.

Leave a comment:

• Skrapion
    replied
    Originally posted by renox View Post
    many Wayland users still won't be able to use it
    Nobody denies this. Wayland isn't even ready for mainstream non-networked use.

Leave a comment:

• renox
    replied
    Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
    You mean Jolla?
    They're not using Weston either.
    Yes, thanks.
    To expand on my previous post: Weston's remote desktop subsystem only proves that it's possible to have remote desktop on top of Wayland,
    but many Wayland users still won't be able to use it because their compositor doesn't have this feature..

Leave a comment:

• CrystalGamma
    replied
    Originally posted by renox View Post
    Except of course that this is totally useless for the (very few) one who use a phone with Wayland (don't remember the name) and will be useless for the users of Gnome or Enlightenment as they use/will use a different compositor..
    You mean Jolla?
    They're not using Weston either.

Leave a comment:

• renox
    replied
    Except of course that this is totally useless for the (very few) one who use a phone with Wayland (don't remember the name) and will be useless for the users of Gnome or Enlightenment as they use/will use a different compositor..

Leave a comment:

• CrystalGamma
    replied
    Hey if I can do ssh -Y hostname on Wayland then I ain't going to criticize. But if I can't, I'm not using it.

I don't care if that's called network transparency or network aware or scraping pixels, I'm just saying that some of us little people out here rely on some of these features that have been a part of X since time immemorial.
    I guess someone will come up with a comfortable way to lauch a VNC session remotely from the command line ...

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    Hey if I can do ssh -Y hostname on Wayland then I ain't going to criticize. ...
    Same with me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X