Wayland & Weston Saw Fewer Commits In 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Hey if I can do ssh -Y hostname on Wayland then I ain't going to criticize. But if I can't, I'm not using it.

I don't care if that's called network transparency or network aware or scraping pixels, I'm just saying that some of us little people out here rely on some of these features that have been a part of X since time immemorial.
    The problem there is that X does do it... but it does a crap job from a technical standpoint.

Wayland doesn't do it yet... but it stands a chance of doing a better job than X11. I don't see how it would hard to implement either since they designed it to be nice to deal with the buffers involved. You'd just be routing remote input into local buffers and push the local buffers to the remote client.

Here are the wayland developers thoughts on remote rendering:http://wayland.freedesktop.org/faq.html#heading_toc_j_8
    Last edited by cb88; 04 January 2015, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
      The problem there is that X does do it... but it does a crap job from a technical standpoint.

Wayland doesn't do it yet... but it stands a chance of doing a better job than X11. I don't see how it would hard to implement either since they designed it to be nice to deal with the buffers involved. You'd just be routing remote input into local buffers and push the local buffers to the remote client.
      If they can do it better, then great. But from a user's POV I'd rather have a bad implementation than no implementation. Or, perhaps more frankly, a "no implementation" makes Wayland not feasible for me. Maybe that makes me one of the "network transparency" conspiro-nuts or whatever, but that's just the deal. If Wayland offers something better, I'll switch. I have no marriage to X; I just use what's best for me.

Maybe going forward the best implementation would be something akin to whatever nvidia or valve is doing for their streaming mechanisms. I'm not sure how easy it would be to adopt this to a single window though. Of course if these sort of things were open source maybe the community could adopt them easily. I recognize this particular implementation relies on hardware and a closed driver / library, but maybe the concept could be reverse-engineered and reimplemented.

Comment

Remote desktop was merged into Weston nearly two years ago.

Comment

Hey if I can do ssh -Y hostname on Wayland then I ain't going to criticize. ...
          Same with me.

Comment

Hey if I can do ssh -Y hostname on Wayland then I ain't going to criticize. But if I can't, I'm not using it.

I don't care if that's called network transparency or network aware or scraping pixels, I'm just saying that some of us little people out here rely on some of these features that have been a part of X since time immemorial.
            I guess someone will come up with a comfortable way to lauch a VNC session remotely from the command line ...

Comment

Except of course that this is totally useless for the (very few) one who use a phone with Wayland (don't remember the name) and will be useless for the users of Gnome or Enlightenment as they use/will use a different compositor..

Comment

Originally posted by renox View Post
                Except of course that this is totally useless for the (very few) one who use a phone with Wayland (don't remember the name) and will be useless for the users of Gnome or Enlightenment as they use/will use a different compositor..
                You mean Jolla?
                They're not using Weston either.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                  You mean Jolla?
                  They're not using Weston either.
                  Yes, thanks.
                  To expand on my previous post: Weston's remote desktop subsystem only proves that it's possible to have remote desktop on top of Wayland,
                  but many Wayland users still won't be able to use it because their compositor doesn't have this feature..

Comment

Originally posted by renox View Post
                    many Wayland users still won't be able to use it
                    Nobody denies this. Wayland isn't even ready for mainstream non-networked use.

Comment

If you are using ssh -Y instead of xpra, then you must be only doing it only in your local network. X11 forwarding implementation of ssh is garbage.
                      You'd better wish for a well-designed remoting protocol instead of having the "ssh -Y" version of wayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X