Fedora 21 Gaming Benchmarks: X.Org vs. XWayland To End 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    For benchmarking with EXA you need both vblank_mode=0 and SwapbuffersWait=false, later option does not matter if you use glamor where vblank_mode=0 is enough .
    I tried both, fwiw, and it only worked with SwapbuffersWait=false (but if what Michael said is true, then I was using both options). Doesn't SI use glamor by default? What about NI (Aruba, in this case)? Nice thing was, there was little (if any) tearing when using XWayland without SwapbuffersWait=false, but it was still able to run at a decent framerate. Did have a lower minimum framerate, though.

I'll try running Xonotic in weston in a little while, have some stuff to do today.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
      I tried both, fwiw, and it only worked with SwapbuffersWait=false (but if what Michael said is true, then I was using both options). Doesn't SI use glamor by default? What about NI (Aruba, in this case)? Nice thing was, there was little (if any) tearing when using XWayland without SwapbuffersWait=false, but it was still able to run at a decent framerate. Did have a lower minimum framerate, though.

I'll try running Xonotic in weston in a little while, have some stuff to do today.
      You can reasonably easily find out from xorg log which 2D accel is used afaik

Comment

Xonotic won't run from Weston (started via regular user tty), I doubt it'd be different from running in X11 if I ran it from Weston as an X child window, as it'd probably use the already running X11 server. I guess weston 1.6.0 doesn't have XWayland support?

Looks like I'm using EXA, for the record. I seem to remember running a benchmark last week without SwapbuffersWait=false and it didn't have any issue going above 60fps, but that was under KDE without manually disabling compositing.

Michael: I was running SDDM, stopped it and started GDM via systemctl before logging into Gnome Shell...but I did that for all three runs, so I don't think that's it. I was using Konsole, don't remember setting any envars except vblank_mode. Maybe kded was still running from one of my previous sessions...could that have caused the incorrect detection?

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
          Michael: I was running SDDM, stopped it and started GDM via systemctl before logging into Gnome Shell...but I did that for all three runs, so I don't think that's it. I was using Konsole, don't remember setting any envars except vblank_mode. Maybe kded was still running from one of my previous sessions...could that have caused the incorrect detection?
          Yes if kded was still activate that could have caused it.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
          X