Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEMO-UX Shell Is A Futuristic, Multi-User Wayland Experience

Phoronix: NEMO-UX Shell Is A Futuristic, Multi-User Wayland Experience

Demonstrated at the ACM Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces (ACM ITS) event in Dresden, Germany the past few deays was the "NEMOSHELL" that looks like a futuristic user experience supported by Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg0MzU

From a technnical PoV, in special when compared with other Touch interfaces, this is a very interesting project, i even dare to say, seems to be the BEST interface for a desktop based in Touch and not in keyboard and mouse (no matter they say that supports mouse and keyboard i pretty much believe that the experience would be inferior to , say, XFCE, when using Mouse + Keyboard).

However, trolling aside, i prefer a....Windows XP desktop/interface style (this is why i like so much XFCE that can be easely configured to look like it) with the windows PERFECTLY aligned 8besides other potential issues), so, i wouldn't use it myself.

Comment

All I want is GNOME Flashback session with gnome-panel running on Wayland.

Comment

Confusing name, considering there is already a mobile Nemo OS with its own UX: https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Nemo

Comment

Seems fancy but is definitely limited in terms of practicality. I'm surprised how responsive it is though.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Me too. This NEMO-UX shell is a Hollywood-hacker-style piece of shit.

Comment

I think this could have a potentially exciting use case, but it's not what you might think. If touch screen displays continue to get cheaper, this could be very useful in order to run a collaborative environment in, say, a school computer lab or an office. You could still have a keyboard or some touch screen below the monitor in front of you, but everyone would be running the same desktop on a more powerful machine. Or, you could even imagine a screen that spans an entire wall or table.

Of course, we already have something like this with multi-seat systems, so it's kind of redundant, but it could become more useful and practical if the devices become cheaper.

Still, I doubt it would ever give significant enough advantages to catch on. I think augmented reality is more likely to catch on than plastering the walls with interfaces. I'd rather just share a fake representation with my friends through glasses or something.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                Me too. This NEMO-UX shell is a Hollywood-hacker-style piece of shit.
                Well...they *did* said that were inspired by Sci-fi so , no surprises there :")

Nevertheless, it was impressive from a tech PoV, very fluid and all...but like i said, i prefer traditional interfaces and a mouse and keyboard and *very* well aligned windows.

Comment

Use case for tilted windows?

Flashy and all, but why the tilted windows? KDE had the same thing, I don't think anyone ever used that, seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.

Usability wise, this looks awful to me. Especially when compared to an ipad or android tablet.

Comment

naahh

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Debian 7 wheezy and Mate desktop, and we are fine

Comment

Working...
                    X