• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attent?ter
    replied
    Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
    xmir is better
    Xmir is Broken and also has a compositor bypass unlike Xwayland in Gnome and Xwayland in Gnome is getting a compositor bypass in the next release or as a update

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Can XWayland even be used for gaming?

I thought that XWayland did not support OpenGL contexts.
    That it could only be used for application software.
    What do you think they added DRI 3 support to XWayland for?

"The main use of DRI is to provide hardware acceleration for the Mesa implementation of OpenGL."

Leave a comment:

• drago01
    replied
    Yes

You are missinformed.

Leave a comment:

• J?rnS
    replied
    It would be nice, if XWayland could be used with the Nvidia blob - simmilar like Bumblebee.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    XWayland for gaming?

Leave a comment:

• kalrish
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix
    While modern versions of Mesa support OpenGL 3.3 for Radeon Gallium3D, when running the tests under the Wayland session only OpenGL 3.0 was being exposed off the same Mesa build.
    This bug may be related. In EGL versions prior to 1.5 (which Mesa does not implement), the EGL_KHR_create_context extension is needed to create contexts with a minor number (or other flags).

Leave a comment:

• kaprikawn
    replied
    Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
    xmir is better
    Just wait until systemd gets a display server, that'll be better than both of them.

displayserverd ftw

Leave a comment:

• rikkinho
    replied
    hm

xmir is better

Leave a comment:

• Fidelix
    replied
    Originally posted by drago01 View Post
    This is not the case. The reason for that is that games under wayland run composited (no matter whether there are running native or using xwayland). The performance "overhead" of xwayland is pretty much non existent. On X we do unredirect games so they do run uncompisted means that they run faster.

I do have patches for mutter to do the same on wayland (weston already does this btw.) but they didn't get finished in time for 3.14.

Fantastic. Thank you for this info.

Leave a comment:

• drago01
    replied
    Wrong conclusion

The performance overhead of running on a Wayland session and going through XWayland for these older OpenGL applications is still very noticeable.
    This is not the case. The reason for that is that games under wayland run composited (no matter whether there are running native or using xwayland). The performance "overhead" of xwayland is pretty much non existent. On X we do unredirect games so they do run uncompisted means that they run faster.

I do have patches for mutter to do the same on wayland (weston already does this btw.) but they didn't get finished in time for 3.14.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X