No announcement yet.

XWayland Linux Gaming Performance With GNOME Wayland On Fedora 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be nice, if XWayland could be used with the Nvidia blob - simmilar like Bumblebee.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Can XWayland even be used for gaming?
      Yes

I thought that XWayland did not support OpenGL contexts.
      That it could only be used for application software.
      You are missinformed.

Comment

Can XWayland even be used for gaming?

I thought that XWayland did not support OpenGL contexts.
        That it could only be used for application software.
        What do you think they added DRI 3 support to XWayland for?

"The main use of DRI is to provide hardware acceleration for the Mesa implementation of OpenGL."

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
          xmir is better
          Xmir is Broken and also has a compositor bypass unlike Xwayland in Gnome and Xwayland in Gnome is getting a compositor bypass in the next release or as a update

Comment

???

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
            Xmir is Broken and also has a compositor bypass unlike Xwayland in Gnome and Xwayland in Gnome is getting a compositor bypass in the next release or as a update
            when? for gnome 3.16?

Comment

How do manage to get wayland running? Is there any aditional steps to take of packages to install on fedora 21? I just did a clean install but when I select the wayland desktop option in the gnome login I only get a pointer on the upperleft of a black screen and then the login screen comes back. Also steam say
              OpenGL GLX context is not using direct rendering, which may cause performance problems.
              I have the exact same graphic card as was used in the article but wayland won't work and neither will 32bits games (0.AD works fine for example).

Comment

Originally posted by pyrignis View Post
                How do manage to get wayland running? Is there any aditional steps to take of packages to install on fedora 21? I just did a clean install but when I select the wayland desktop option in the gnome login I only get a pointer on the upperleft of a black screen and then the login screen comes back. Also steam say
                I have the exact same graphic card as was used in the article but wayland won't work and neither will 32bits games (0.AD works fine for example).
                Are you using the open-source drivers?

Comment

xMir performance was much better!

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    xmir is better
                    Originally posted by verde View Post
                    xMir performance was much better!
                    It's called reading guys.... ever heard of it?:

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
                    This is not the case. The reason for that is that games under wayland run composited (no matter whether there are running native or using xwayland). The performance "overhead" of xwayland is pretty much non existent. On X we do unredirect games so they do run uncompisted means that they run faster.

I do have patches for mutter to do the same on wayland (weston already does this btw.) but they didn't get finished in time for 3.14.

Comment

Originally posted by kalrish View Post
                      This bug may be related. In EGL versions prior to 1.5 (which Mesa does not implement), the EGL_KHR_create_context extension is needed to create contexts with a minor number (or other flags).
                      I posted a patch on the mesa mailing list a few months ago to enable the EGL_KHR_create_context extension in the gallium drivers, but nobody was interested in reviewing it. This also allows the client to create core contexts as the default seems to be to create a 3.0 compatibility context.

SDL 2.0.4 also has a patch that enables the usage of this extension when EGL is used.

Comment

Working...
                      X