Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Wayland Changes Needed Before GNOME Will Be 100% Ported

Phoronix: There's Wayland Changes Needed Before GNOME Will Be 100% Ported

With yesterday's GNOME 3.14 release the Wayland support is considered sufficient for day-to-day use running the GNOME stack on Wayland rather than an X11 Server on Linux. However, the GNOME developers don't consider this to be "100% complete" yet and there's still some more work needed to be cleared up on the Wayland side...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael,
    can you comment on that what is the feeling working in Wayland with everyday applications. Do you feel them more smooth, fluid, etc?

Comment

activating DOES NOT imply raising under X, and should not under wayland

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
        Michael,
        can you comment on that what is the feeling working in Wayland with everyday applications. Do you feel them more smooth, fluid, etc?
        How should it be more fluid? You're regular Gnome desktop renders at exactly the monitors refresh rate. 60 FPS on Wayland aren't different than 60 FPS on X.Org. The biggest thing that's noticeable is that finally the cursor doesn't lag behind the window when you drag it around, which is a design flaw in X11.

Comment

The title is misleading? I mean Wayland and XDG Shell are different things, the latter is a helper library.

Or does Wayland need changes too?

Comment

Mouse acceleration

Does Wayland/Weston/GNOME (on Wayland) support mouse acceleration?

Can you run GNOME Flashback session on Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              The title is misleading? I mean Wayland and XDG Shell are different things, the latter is a helper library.

Or does Wayland need changes too?
              I believe they mean Wayland the project not Wayland the protocol. Wayland the project includes XDG Shell, Weston, etc.

"Part of the Wayland project is also the Weston reference implementation of a Wayland compositor." (http://wayland.freedesktop.org/)
              (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/.../xdg-shell.xml)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Does Wayland/Weston/GNOME (on Wayland) support mouse acceleration?

Can you run GNOME Flashback session on Wayland?

1) Yes. http://who-t.blogspot.de/2014/07/poi...-libinput.html

2) Haven't tried.

Comment

I tried Gnome 3.14 on Arch. Normal session works almost perfectly but... Wayland session sucks. Possibly because Gnome 3.14 is in Gnome-unstable repo and it is not tested very much but in short issues i have discovered after short usage:
                  1. Gnome like Weston may and it will crash after using app that uses XWayland. That is 99% xorg-server-xwayland fault.
                  2.Performance- Gnome is much slower in Wayland session.
                  3. Mouse acceleration- mouse it is much slower and very inaccurate, mouse in Weston however works like charm.
                  4.Wayland backend is not enabled by default, if you will run gedit for example it will be using xwayland (it can be noticed when resizing).
                  5. Mouse scroll in Gnome apps view doesn't work.
                  These are major isssues and i do not consider Wayland session usable for daily use.
                  Peace.

Comment

Gnome is also missing the bypass for xwayland so please add this to the list

Comment

Working...
                    X