Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eclipse IDE Starts Firing Up On Wayland's Weston

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eclipse IDE Starts Firing Up On Wayland's Weston

    Phoronix: Eclipse IDE Starts Firing Up On Wayland's Weston

    The Eclipse integrated development environment has basic Wayland capabilities thanks to some student work this summer via Google's Summer of Code...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc5MDM

  • #2
    Eclipse is written in Java but uses SWT. It never crossed my mind that porting only SWT might be enough.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Eclipse is written in Java but uses SWT. It never crossed my mind that porting only SWT might be enough.
      In order to make it possible to start with the eclipse native launcher some porting in Equinox is also needed as now one has to launch using java -jar as launcher will crash.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hope to see IntelliJ IDEA ported too.
        So you can run Android Studio, PyCharms and PhpStorm on Wayland.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Hope to see IntelliJ IDEA ported too.
          So you can run Android Studio, PyCharms and PhpStorm on Wayland.
          For that swing(X) have to be ported. For that oracle have to think Wayland is something. For that Wayland have to be some really big thing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Alexander Kurtakov View Post
            In order to make it possible to start with the eclipse native launcher some porting in Equinox is also needed as now one has to launch using java -jar as launcher will crash.
            I never understood the reasoning for having having a native launcher for Eclipse, care to elaborate?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
              For that swing(X) have to be ported. For that oracle have to think Wayland is something. For that Wayland have to be some really big thing.
              It will. Oracle is like EA of the corporate world. They will be the last ones to port their software.

              Comment


              • #8
                This made me think; is there any scope for Wayland to fix the horrible font rendering issues endemic of Java in Linux? Or is that completely unrelated to the display server?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by thecosmicfrog View Post
                  This made me think; is there any scope for Wayland to fix the horrible font rendering issues endemic of Java in Linux? Or is that completely unrelated to the display server?
                  It is related to Java. Oracle JDK has better font rendering than OpenJDK. It is because of some patents which can't be used in opensource

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Leinad View Post
                    It is related to Java. Oracle JDK has better font rendering than OpenJDK. It is because of some patents which can't be used in opensource

                    fuck that shit, because of these fucking american software patent laws we can't have nice things in europe... Or is there some non-software-patent-part-of-the-world open-source initiative which implements software-patent-protected stuff like this ?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X