Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM Talks Up Wayland For Mali

Phoronix: ARM Talks Up Wayland For Mali

Earlier this month at SIGGRAPH, ARM and Collabora was talking up the benefits and possibilities for Wayland over X11...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it work as efficiently on normal hardware (ie things you can buy off the shelf) with the FOSS drivers?

Daniel seems like he lost about a decade of his life from anxiety while doing this. (j/k)

Comment

Well, looking to the CPU workload, Frame latency and the power consumption... Wayland destroy X, period.
      I can't wait one more second to have my distro run natively on wayland, come on!

Comment

And this may be why intel moved wayland author to work on other things beside wayland, because the arm guys are taking more advantage of wayland which intel may see as a threat xD. So now with wayland you can take less powered arm hardware and have a decent system, lets ditch more expensive intel cpus...

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
          And this may be why intel moved wayland author to work on other things beside wayland, because the arm guys are taking more advantage of wayland which intel may see as a threat xD. So now with wayland you can take less powered arm hardware and have a decent system, lets ditch more expensive intel cpus...
          Putting the conspiracy theories aside about the WL situation i don't think there is a 64bit ARM cpu that can challenge top end Intel x86 CPUs. And not even one you can buy off the shelf on your favorite retailer. PLus there are closed apps that only work on x86 (matlab draftsight etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            Putting the conspiracy theories aside about the WL situation i don't think there is a 64bit ARM cpu that can challenge top end Intel x86 CPUs. And not even one you can buy off the shelf on your favorite retailer. PLus there are closed apps that only work on x86 (matlab draftsight etc.).
            Well, the arm vs x86 performance at day only matter for the server market (datacenters, etc...) for end-users that only browse the web, check emails, do causal gaming as need some productivity with office applications... you could say the gap has closed, give them a system with newish arm soc and other system with intel/amd cpu and they will not notice much of a difference..

Comment

apples to oranges comparison

i'm not taking those charts seriously for a minute

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                apples to oranges comparison

i'm not taking those charts seriously for a minute
                Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                  Well, the arm vs x86 performance at day only matter for the server market (datacenters, etc...) for end-users that only browse the web, check emails, do causal gaming as need some productivity with office applications... you could say the gap has closed, give them a system with newish arm soc and other system with intel/amd cpu and they will not notice much of a difference..
                  Intel CPU is bottleneck (too slow) for me. Most Linux software is single-threaded or don't really scale with more cores. 30 GHz Intel CPU would be useful for me. ARM CPUs have usually 30% or less performance of Intel CPUs.
                  Last edited by JS987; 23 August 2014, 10:12 AM.

Comment

So when is the day that I can buy an ARM ultrabook and use my favorite DE on it?
                    That is, when there are good enough GPU (and everything else as well) FOSS drivers for at least one of those SoCs?

Comment

Working...
                    X