ARM Talks Up Wayland For Mali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    Well, the arm vs x86 performance at day only matter for the server market (datacenters, etc...) for end-users that only browse the web, check emails, do causal gaming as need some productivity with office applications... you could say the gap has closed, give them a system with newish arm soc and other system with intel/amd cpu and they will not notice much of a difference..
    And still an intel cpu will do what you describe (casual stuff) and also run things like the ones mentioned before (cad etc). Also does steam (games and software) run on 64bit ARM?

Comment

So to sum up the video in one sentence, Wayland-based compositors don't run like crap in the way X11 does?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        apples to oranges comparison

i'm not taking those charts seriously for a minute
        I don't get it, did one of the wayland devs murder your family? Any time there's something wayland related you're quick to show your distaste for it, but I really don't understand why. Unless you depend on closed source drivers, there's no major downside to it. Sure it's still young, but many distros and DEs don't offer stable support for it yet. Can't knock something that isn't completed.

Hating Mir I would undersatnd - that was a selfish project that didn't have much input from other developers outside of Canonical, and didn't have enough technical analysis on how it should work. But what did wayland do wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
          Well, looking to the CPU workload, Frame latency and the power consumption... Wayland destroy X, period.
          I can't wait one more second to have my distro run natively on wayland, come on!
          I guess problem isn't X, but OpenGL compositor. X applications should have lower CPU load, latency with hardware overlay without compositor than with compositor.
          Last edited by JS987; 23 August 2014, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
            And this may be why intel moved wayland author to work on other things beside wayland, because the arm guys are taking more advantage of wayland which intel may see as a threat xD. So now with wayland you can take less powered arm hardware and have a decent system, lets ditch more expensive intel cpus...
            While I enjoy a good tinfoil hat theory, the overhead of X vs Wayland is nothing ARM couldn't handle years ago. N900.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
              So when is the day that I can buy an ARM ultrabook and use my favorite DE on it?
              That is, when there are good enough GPU (and everything else as well) FOSS drivers for at least one of those SoCs?
              Help Lima along, and then you can use many of the Allwinner ones. Tegras are sadly the other way around, with Nouveau having better support than the other parts (dma, io).

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Help Lima along, and then you can use many of the Allwinner ones. Tegras are sadly the other way around, with Nouveau having better support than the other parts (dma, io).
                AMD is/was supposed to bring arm64 hw to the market at some point right.??

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  If someone could introduce me to gfx driver development ... my software development experience thus far has been limited to application development (especially web development).
                  Also: did the Lima project move or why were neither the website (limadriver.org) nor the gitorious repo updated after mid-2013?
                  Last edited by CrystalGamma; 23 August 2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    AMD is/was supposed to bring arm64 hw to the market at some point right.??
                    They currently have a developer board available, but at the price it currently is, they only want professional developer at the moment, as the board cost 3k.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                      They currently have a developer board available, but at the price it currently is, they only want professional developer at the moment, as the board cost 3k.
                      This is targeted at the server crowd afai understand. Is there going to be commoner HW?

Comment

Working...
                      X