Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland & Weston 1.6 Alpha Released

Phoronix: Wayland & Weston 1.6 Alpha Released

With Kristian H?gsberg seemingly busy with other projects, Pekka Paalanen went ahead and did the first alpha release for the upcoming Wayland and Weston 1.6 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While you can't expect everything to pass through a single person its kind of weird that something as important as WL doesn't have a dedicated maintainer.

Comment

I though Wayland was pretty much done now though, and we're just waiting for the compositor bits to be integrated into the toolkits and whatnot?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        While you can't expect everything to pass through a single person its kind of weird that something as important as WL doesn't have a dedicated maintainer.
        I guess it's called bad project management.
        Only one maintainer for the project that is at the core of next-gen Linux graphics stack? Check.
        Often fails to check/commit patches for weeks or months or not at all? Check.
        Left to work on something else a long time ago not even bothering telling the mailing list devs? Check.
        The project stalling and confused as a result? Check.

Comment

Hm dats actually really strange, I wonder what is up with Kristian.
          I mean, he was quite visionary and dedicated to his project... something obviously isn't right there :s

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
            Hm dats actually really strange, I wonder what is up with Kristian.
            I mean, he was quite visionary and dedicated to his project... something obviously isn't right there :s
            More likely intel has appointed him to work on other projects more important (for intel). I think WL is pretty much complete for what most companies need it to do.

Comment

Linux Fondation Do Something, Please.

Why The Linux Fondation do not support Wayland? Core Infrastracture Initiative epic fail.

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
                Why The Linux Fondation do not support Wayland? Core Infrastracture Initiative epic fail.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-...es-new-backers
                What does that link have to do with Wayland? Do you even realizedTizen, the Linux platform officialy supported by Linux Foundation, uses Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                  What does that link have to do with Wayland? Do you even realizedTizen, the Linux platform officialy supported by Linux Foundation, uses Wayland?
                  I mean, why the Wayland is not a CII core project with developers that work fulltime to help Wayland and the eco system of toolkits? Tizen is a specific project. Wayland must be officially released in a popular desktop distribution before considered completed.
                  Last edited by sp82; 23 August 2014, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Tizen only needs very basic stuff from a display server - you won't see multiple input devices or multiple displays attached to a smartphone or watch. Not like those have much use for advanced window management either. Desktop needs more, but not many interested since X11 just works.

Comment

Working...
                    X