Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland GLAMOR & DRI3 Support Added In Mainline X.Org Server

Phoronix: XWayland GLAMOR & DRI3 Support Added In Mainline X.Org Server

A commit to the X.Org Server code-base tonight added GLAMOR and DRI3 support for XWayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is anything special needed to make use of GLAMOR for Xwayland like further patches to mutter? I have built Xwayland from Kristians own Xorg branch a month ago, which already had these changes as far as I know, but in Gnome 3.12 it was still using llvmpipe for Xwayland. The mutter build I'm using is a bit old though. It's the snapshot right after Xwayland DDX support was added since the newest version of mutter don't work with the rest of Gnome 3.12.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Is anything special needed to make use of GLAMOR for Xwayland like further patches to mutter?
      You need mesa 10.2 and mutter 3.13.x ... 3.12 does not work with the "new" (ddx less) xwayland.

Comment

Could it be possible that nvidia releases a Wayland-compatible version of their closed source driver in conjunction with the XServer 1.16 release? If I remember correctly there was a discussion about XWayland compatibility and their driver on a mailing list a few weeks ago, I might be wrong though.

Or is XWayland support not necessary to be compatible with the 1.16 release?

Comment

Benchmark?

Exciting!

I wish to see a Wayland vs XWayland vs X.org benchmark.

Comment

Without benchmarks I can predict the results:

Gnome doesn't bypass compositing yet for fullscreen app, thus decreasing performance because of the copy done by compositing.
            Present support is not merged for XWayland, thus it uses the Present fallback, which caps the number of copies it does to 60 per seconds (in contrary to dri2 with vblank_mode=0).

Thus the result is: slower for slow apps ( < 60 fps), faster for fast apps (> 60 fps), if we compare to a desktop bypassing compositing, and using dri2.

Comment

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
              You need mesa 10.2 and mutter 3.13.x ... 3.12 does not work with the "new" (ddx less) xwayland.
              Currently I'm using this snapshot of mutter-wayland (https://git.gnome.org/browse/mutter/...5413246543.zip) which is still compatiable with the rest of Gnome 3.12. It's a snapshot just after the Xwayland DDX support was added. I tested it out with nouveau, which is getting glamor support aswell I think.

Gnome 3.12 on Wayland already is very promising. The missing mouse pointer acceleration is basically the only thing that's bugging me. Sometimes I have to click a window titlebar first before it takes any input (like gnome-terminal). Other than that I could see myself using it fulltime.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                Without benchmarks I can predict the results:

Gnome doesn't bypass compositing yet for fullscreen app, thus decreasing performance because of the copy done by compositing.
                Present support is not merged for XWayland, thus it uses the Present fallback, which caps the number of copies it does to 60 per seconds (in contrary to dri2 with vblank_mode=0).

Thus the result is: slower for slow apps ( < 60 fps), faster for fast apps (> 60 fps), if we compare to a desktop bypassing compositing, and using dri2.
                Interesting.

What about when GNOME supports bypass composting? (I assume it eventually will)
                What about when PRESENT support is merged for XWayland? (I assume it will)

What about when comparing using DRI3 instead of DRI2?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Interesting.

What about when GNOME supports bypass composting? (I assume it eventually will)
                  I do have patches .. still not finished have been busy lately but still plan to finish them in time for 3.14.

Comment

Originally posted by Weegee View Post
                    Could it be possible that nvidia releases a Wayland-compatible version of their closed source driver in conjunction with the XServer 1.16 release? If I remember correctly there was a discussion about XWayland compatibility and their driver on a mailing list a few weeks ago, I might be wrong though.

Or is XWayland support not necessary to be compatible with the 1.16 release?
                    who knows what nvidia has planned, but here's hoping for Wayland support [outside of running wayland with X11-backend, which works fine on nvidia/blob].

Comment

Working...
                    X