Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.6 & GNOME 3.14 Are Shaping Up Well

Phoronix: Wayland 1.6 & GNOME 3.14 Are Shaping Up Well

Wayland 1.6 and GNOME 3.14 are shaping up to be a great couple with this next major Linux desktop release featuring Wayland support out-of-the-box...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But Ubuntu is pushing Mir, while I want Wayland!

I hope that Wayland 1.6 gets pushed to the upcoming Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I'm also want this however most probably they will continue with Mir because they spent money and time for it. They won't want to throw their works to garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by fincan View Post
        I'm also want this however most probably they will continue with Mir because they spent money and time for it. They won't want to throw their works to garbage.
        This is called the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Maybe, Wayland 1.5 is going to be in Debian jessie.

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
            Maybe, Wayland 1.5 is going to be in Debian jessie.
            It is in Debian Jessie.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
              This is called the Sunk Cost Fallacy.
              In Canonical's eyes this is very true. But they have been informed since before Mir was even released that the idea of it was a bad one.

In a world of sheep, power=popularity. Canonical is depending on this, thinking everyone will just switch to Mir because their repositories have (or at least had) the largest user base. But, most (not all) of the linux community are wolves; including some of Canonical's own users.. We're not going to buy into something simply because the shepherd is trying to guide us in another direction.

Another thing to think about is Canonical's credibility. Unity and the Ubuntu Software Center right now are the only major products they made that are still gaining traction. They've already ditched a lot of other big things like Ubuntu One and upstart, so its not going to look good to leave mir considering their dismissive attitude toward everything that was against Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
                It is in Debian Jessie.
                The problem is that I doubt Gnome 3.14 will be on Jessie.

So, you'll have Wayland 1.5 but no Desktop environment to use it.

Comment

Gnome 3.12 is a unusable piece of shit (no offense, it's just designed for tablets both the environment and the applications and I liked it until 3.8 and I'm now in 3.10, from this point it's no longer suitable for a desktop, applications are turning really weird) and I think 3.14 will be worse. At least we'll have Wayland which is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by alazar View Post
                    Gnome 3.12 is a unusable piece of shit (no offense, it's just designed for tablets both the environment and the applications and I liked it until 3.8 and I'm now in 3.10, from this point it's no longer suitable for a desktop, applications are turning really weird) and I think 3.14 will be worse. At least we'll have Wayland which is nice.
                    Which is why I and many others use it every day as a desktop environment. Wait what? Oh, never mind it's just an idiot who thinks his opinion is fact.

Comment

Working...
                    X