Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Wayland Is Approved For Fedora 21

Phoronix: GNOME Wayland Is Approved For Fedora 21

The system-wide Wayland change has been approved for the Fedora 21 release that will occur later this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I definitely wait for that monkey suit

Comment

Hopefully nVidia will get a working EGL drivers by the end of the year.

- Gilboa
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Part of me was hoping the delayed F-21 release would allow the team to focus on mature stability, rather than bleedingedgekitchensinkcandystoreitis. But then it wouldn't be Fedora, so what would be the point?

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
          Part of me was hoping the delayed F-21 release would allow the team to focus on mature stability, rather than bleedingedgekitchensinkcandystoreitis. But then it wouldn't be Fedora, so what would be the point?

You can always buy a redhat license if you want stability... Meantime, run F21, test it, break it -it's not like the thing is going to test itself when it's out. For stability, you run something other than the latest Fedora release.

Comment

If all you need is stability, then CentOS is fine...no need to go all out and get RedHat. If, on the other hand, you need support, then by all means...

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
              Fedora has become very stable in recent releases.
              This approval only means that Gnome-on-Wayland will be included, not hat it'll be the only choice. Gnome on Xorg will be available just as all other DEs on Xorg.

Comment

As a KDE user I'm saddened that KDE prioritised Qt 5 over switching to Wayland. Wayland is absolutely vital for Linux desktop, the actual Linux that most of us enthusiasts care most about, if its to break out of its ghetto. Valve recognise this, which is why I think they based their steam machine on Gnome as Gnome have put most effort into Wayland. This is why Canonical's treachery with their 1984 newsspeak style named Unity desktop should not be forgiven. Canonical is the enemy within, hence if it was a choice between my money going to Microsoft or Canonical I would give it to Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
                  As a KDE user I'm saddened that KDE prioritised Qt 5 over switching to Wayland. Wayland is absolutely vital for Linux desktop, the actual Linux that most of us enthusiasts care most about, if its to break out of its ghetto. Valve recognise this, which is why I think they based their steam machine on Gnome as Gnome have put most effort into Wayland. This is why Canonical's treachery with their 1984 newsspeak style named Unity desktop should not be forgiven. Canonical is the enemy within, hence if it was a choice between my money going to Microsoft or Canonical I would give it to Microsoft.
                  You do understand that KDE is based on Qt, and only Qt 5 supports Wayland, right?

As for your trollish Canonical comment, I would suggest you keep to the subject; the forums admins tend to be give people some (too much) slack, but you'll earn yourself a ban in the end.

- Gilboa
                  Last edited by gilboa; 08 May 2014, 07:14 AM.
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                    I definitely wait for that monkey suit
                    Sorry bro, but you already missed the monkey suit!

See here:
                    Independent coverage of Linux, BSD, Open Source, System Administration, Information Security, News, Software Development and Discussion.

Comment

Working...
                    X