The State Of Wayland Support With KDE Frameworks 5, Plasma Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayland and Weston works.
    I have these programs installed in my Gentoo box. For the moment I'm able to run evince, gedit, gnumeric and transmission-remote-gtk from my installed graphical software.
    My other programs, abiword, chromium, firefox, qgis etc doesn't work because of developers who didn't ported yet.

Before 2015 I'll be using more Wayland then X11 I think. Need mainly mplayer and firefox or chromium to be ported first since I use much them.

$ weston-launch
    for you!

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
      well ironically the delayed adoption of wayland is actually X11 fault's, if you are a dev you will realize migrate an existing app to wayland is quite trivial on itself even more if you use Qt5 and in fact you will prolly save thousand of line of code but the issue is you will realize that it works beatifully but it will destroy your X11 compatibility entirely 100% guaranteed too.

here is when the time killer come to scene, since for a myriad of reason you prolly still need support X11 hence you have to abstract the hell out of the code to keep compatibility with both and that will force you to rethink the little details like the performance of your code after all wayland open a miriad of new techniques and performance optimizations that are not possible with X11,etc,etc,etc

in the case of compositors is even worse since the are tons and tons of accumulated hacks one on top of another to support every possible fail/compat/accel scenario in X11 through the years that are not neccesary for wayland at all and in some cases arent even portable to wayland.

so among other reasons the basic problem is that you no simply port to wayland, you cleanup your messy code then modularize then you abstract interfaces the you optimize code paths then you make the X11 code work again and then you port to wayland because is the only sane way to keep backward compatibility (note for xwayland you need an optimal X11 path) and after all this you notice is actually a couple more steps away the support for others OSes and all of this have taken lots of time and some had to actually wait for Xorg modernizations like DRI3
      Sounds like some brave distro just needs to take a leap of faith and say "the hell with backward compatability with X11".

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
        where is a distro, a real one ofc not a testing
        Somehow X11, while out for 20 years, never managed to have features that the "in testing" Wayland has.
        Oh, and I can list more smartphones running Wayland than X11:
        Jolla Ltd. is a cutting-edge deep Tech company from Finland born out of Nokia’s MeeGo program. Jolla’s key products are Linux-based mobile operating Sailfish OS, which is the only European mobile OS, and AppSupport, a unique solution to run Android apps on any Linux platform. %  

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
          And for those who think the Free Qt foundation is nothing but a lawyer's prank. Wayland is not even covered.
          Of course it is covered, funky:

"KDE Window System" means the X Window system or any successor thereto as determined from time to time by the Board
          More thin lies that even a child can see through.

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
            Wayland and Weston works.
            I have these programs installed in my Gentoo box. For the moment I'm able to run evince, gedit, gnumeric and transmission-remote-gtk from my installed graphical software.
            My other programs, abiword, chromium, firefox, qgis etc doesn't work because of developers who didn't ported yet.

Before 2015 I'll be using more Wayland then X11 I think. Need mainly mplayer and firefox or chromium to be ported first since I use much them.

$ weston-launch
            for you!
            MPV (the fork of both MPlayer and MPlayer2) supports Wayland. I suggest you give it a try (at least for the times you're using Wayland :P)

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Sounds like some brave distro just needs to take a leap of faith and say "the hell with backward compatability with X11".
              And develop it's own browser, music and video player, Java IDE, SIG program etc?
              No. This is for applications developers. Distro developers must aim packaging, user experience etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                MPV (the fork of both MPlayer and MPlayer2) supports Wayland. I suggest you give it a try (at least for the times you're using Wayland :P)
                I know this, thanks anyway for the tip. Next weekend I'll play with this, download some movies for that mission :-)

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  This. I know code has been polished for years against X11, and it will take time to get to the same point with Wayland. However, we have the hardcore LTS distros for those who need a truly stable system, and it will take years for those distros to migrate to a Wayland base anyway. Wouldn't it be best to put X11 versions of software into maintenance mode and ditch X11 compatibility in the newer version? I believe it would

Comment

Originally posted by Hοnton View Post
                    It would be really cool if it was released with Wayland support out of the box. Still, I don't get what "support at least on par with KDE's Windows and OS X" means.
                    It means it should work on Wayland at least as well as it does on Windows or MacOS - that is, individual applications should be in pretty good shape, but the desktop itself may not be totally useable.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                      where is a distro, a real one ofc not a testing
                      Where in the definition of vaporware does that matter?

Comment

Working...
                      X