No announcement yet.

Chromium Ported To Mir Display Server, Based On Wayland Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope in the quick porting to wayland graphic server of all linux operating systems.
    Last edited by Azrael5; 04 March 2014, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
      .. begs the question - which parts of Mir are original?
      DRM? (as in restrictions manglement) possibly. I found a possibly outdated spec page on Ubuntu's site https://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-s/g...pic-s-mir.html and it mentions 'DRM (rights managment)' as a todo ~75%. Now keep in mind it could be an outdated page, it hasn't been touched since May 2013...
      Today marks 1 year since they announced the thing BTW.
      Last edited by nerdopolis; 04 March 2014, 07:40 PM. Reason: Corrected the link

Comment

I know this is blasphemy on this site - but I can't wait to see Mir in its full glory.

That video demonstration looked so smooth.

This anticipation feels like the late 90's again - when I would wait for Linux Forum magazine to ship from the UK with its CD packed with new software to try for the first time.

Comment

so flash is working ?

and also when is firefox ported ?

Comment

Originally posted by benalib View Post
            good work it looks smoother than ozone-wayland presentation
            The wayland video showed it not being fullscreened, and opening multiple windows. This was just exercising scrolling and the browser's webgl implementation. I'd have love to have seen how the windowing worked (considering that is one of the two areas that this is addressing).

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
              You're in the Phoronix Forums, remember? If Canonical writes something different we are supposed to say "Again this devilish company and its CLAed, NIH syndrome fragmenting Linux and refusing to work with the community", if Canonical adopts a community project or uses someone else's code instead of reinventing the wheel it's "All these lazy fucks do is steal other people's hard work".
              Nah, that's so old, man! Now it's Red Hat! Hating Red Hat is what it is all about, man! Them dictators forcing stuff upon us, ruing our freedom of choice! Screw them! /s

Comment

Originally posted by benalib View Post
                good work
                it looks smoother than ozone-wayland presentation
                This presentation is filmed with an external camera, the wayland/weston one is using the screen recorder implemented in weston if i'm not mistaken.

Youtube video via HTML5 and WebGL with accelerated hardware running through Ozone-Wayland:https://github.com/01org/ozone-wayland

See Thiago Vignattis comment " UI smoothness is really tricky when video casting cause the CPU is already exhausted due the video capture. So I agree that things are not smooth on this video but it is when in normal usage "

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  The wayland video showed it not being fullscreened, and opening multiple windows. This was just exercising scrolling and the browser's webgl implementation. I'd have love to have seen how the windowing worked (considering that is one of the two areas that this is addressing).
                  Oliver Ries blogged about this development providing a couple more technical details. As one might expect Mir development being focused mainly on mobile devices so far (phones, tablets) it doesn't provide Window Management.

I am calling it ?proof of concept? not because of the quality of the code, but because there is more work to do to fully integrate Chromium with Mir, e.g. Mir does not provide Window Management, so Chromium will excel to its fullest extend only on Unity 8 on Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                    DRM? (as in restrictions manglement) possibly. I found a possibly outdated spec page on Ubuntu's site https://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-s/g...pic-s-mir.html and it mentions 'DRM (rights managment)' as a todo ~75%. Now keep in mind it could be an outdated page, it hasn't been touched since May 2013...
                    Today marks 1 year since they announced the thing BTW.
                    In graphics on Linux DRM means Direct Rendering Manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
                      In graphics on Linux DRM means Direct Rendering Manager.

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DRM/
                      on the linked ubuntu site it means not what you link to but the restriction management:

"DRM (digitial rights)" all incl. the stuff in the brackets is listed on the ubuntu site.

Topic:

> diff Wayland Mir | wc -l

All that work just so Canonical can do like they did made Wayland. But on the other hand thank you canonical else I would sticked maybe another year or more with that bad os, with not only a bad init-system but also really bad defaults (kernel get never removed if you install updates so at some point you have 100 installed) and no ramfs/tmpfs and so on...

Comment

Working...
                      X