Chromium Ported To Mir Display Server, Based On Wayland Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
    Does that really matter. Aren't we wanting a Linux solution for mobiles devices that isn't tied to Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc...
    Canonical is such a company too you know... the whole lot is guilty of "Being Evil".

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
      they wrote abstraction layer that allows chromium and thus chrome to be ported to an external windowing system. but, i'm sure you already knew that.
      You mean the abstraction layer work consisting of copy-pasting ozone wayland, renaming wayland to ui, and wrapping two structs into classes?

... instead of working with everyone else on wayland

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        First non-Canonical Mir app?
        Not quite. Chromium was ported by Canonical. The first non-Canonical Mir App would be some Ubuntu Touch app from a hobby programmer. There are already many of them available.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Carr
          In order to try to improve this situation, we have instead based our Ozone Mir work off of Ozone Wayland.
          So, instead of just saying "we are basing our work off of wayland work because there is no need to repeat the same work", Robert is saying they are trying to "improve the situation". Trying to give the impression that they are making a favor.
          There is really nothing wrong with basing your code on someone else's work, that's what open source is all about. But trying not to give credit is just pathetic.

Comment

@blackout23 you beat me to the punch. but its also pointless if Canonical is the only real work horse making apps or making apps compatible.

Comment

I don't see it that way.. .chrome devs have an outside perspective and to them Wayland / Mir may just be a political *situation* to tame rather than take sides in for productivity's sake,.

Comment

I have quite serious suspicion, that this is happening because Pavel Popov has joined ranks of what he has tried to clone.

Next headline will be - Ubuntu renames itself into Bolgenbuntu and Canonical becomes Poposoft.

Viva BolgenOS!

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  Not quite. Chromium was ported by Canonical. The first non-Canonical Mir App would be some Ubuntu Touch app from a hobby programmer. There are already many of them available.
                  Actually, XBMC was the first.
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
                    Oh crap, now they're gonna use that as a new argument to drop Firefox and adopt Chromium as default. I hope someone's working on porting Firefox too.

You're in the Phoronix Forums, remember? If Canonical writes something different we are supposed to say "Again this devilish company and its CLAed, NIH syndrome fragmenting Linux and refusing to work with the community", if Canonical adopts a community project or uses someone else's code instead of reinventing the wheel it's "All these lazy fucks do is steal other people's hard work".
                    Yeah right, like the FSF doesn't require any CLA/CAA on any of its projects.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                      I have quite serious suspicion, that this is happening because Pavel Popov has joined ranks of what he has tried to clone.

Next headline will be - Ubuntu renames itself into Bolgenbuntu and Canonical becomes Poposoft.

Viva BolgenOS!
                      Паша, это ты? Хватит всякую хуйню нести.

The user brosis is Pavel Popov.

Comment

Working...
                      X