Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 5 Alpha 2 Works On Wayland Linux Support

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5 Alpha 2 Works On Wayland Linux Support

The second alpha development release of the forthcoming KDE Frameworks 5 is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Inb4 Honton

Great to see KDE progressing nicely, it will be an awesome, slick, extensible and sensibly engineered desktop once it's finished. I expect Plasma and Applications to really shine with the new framework, now that all important lessons have been learned and the technology has had time to mature!

Comment

This is confusing:

"running KDE Frameworks 5 on Linux"

(KDE Frameworks always ran on Linux.")

shouldn't it rather be:

"running KDE Frameworks 5 on Wayland on Linux"

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        Inb4 Honton

Great to see KDE progressing nicely, it will be an awesome, slick, extensible and sensibly engineered desktop once it's finished. I expect Plasma and Applications to really shine with the new framework, now that all important lessons have been learned and the technology has had time to mature!
        One thing I really look forward to, is being able to run KDE Plasma 2 on Wayland. The security benefits are enormous compared to X. X was a fine solution in its day, but I think many have longed for a replacement for X for a very long time.

Personally I will switch to Wayland and KDE SC 5/Plasma 2 at the first given opportunity, even though I think KDE SC 4.12 is awesome, beautiful and fast.

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
          One thing I really look forward to, is being able to run KDE Plasma 2 on Wayland. The security benefits are enormous compared to X. X was a fine solution in its day, but I think many have longed for a replacement for X for a very long time.

Personally I will switch to Wayland and KDE SC 5/Plasma 2 at the first given opportunity, even though I think KDE SC 4.12 is awesome, beautiful and fast.
          Its going to be available for testing in Suse 13.2, and Arch will probably have repos set up for by then as well so those are your options if you want to see it as soon as possible.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
          X