No announcement yet.

Hawaii Is Looking Great As A Wayland Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love to see less artificial demos of wayland. I mean how old is Wayland now? It's about time.
    This one is started in VirtualBox under X11.
    Other demos are launched using the X11 backend, most of them use a screen recorder with an extemely low FPS set. Should people believe wayland has extremely bad performance?

It's hard to find bare metal wayland demos. Not benchmarks, just the average 3 year old laptop with wayland running showing a real-world application, e.g. demonstrating a failure in trying to provoke a visible glitch in the window resize performance, high speed camera demos etc. No screen recorders, no X11 and no virtualization please. Lab conditions for wayland are no longer appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by thechef View Post
      I'd love to see less artificial demos of wayland. I mean how old is Wayland now? It's about time.
      This one is started in VirtualBox under X11.
      Other demos are launched using the X11 backend, most of them use a screen recorder with an extemely low FPS set. Should people believe wayland has extremely bad performance?

It's hard to find bare metal wayland demos. Not benchmarks, just the average 3 year old laptop with wayland running showing a real-world application, e.g. demonstrating a failure in trying to provoke a visible glitch in the window resize performance, high speed camera demos etc. No screen recorders, no X11 and no virtualization please. Lab conditions for wayland are no longer appropriate.
      install gnome 3.10+ and follow wayland start guide(i think in fedora 20 or rawhide is pretty much installed by default) then you can test an almost(some apps need porting) full wayland desktop experience on wayland.

here some recent guide for fedora 20 http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2013/...and-in-fedora/

Comment

I think Gnome on Wayland should be fully usable when Gnome 3.12 final is released in April. At least for intel and nvidia users.

Comment

I'm a little surprised Michael hasn't put this up yet

A bunch of KDE apps are starting to run on wayland. Needs frameworks 5 and qt 5.3.

After I got KWindowSystem to no longer require X11 on Linux I dared to start some of our applications which got ported to frameworks 5 with the magic “-platform wayland” command line sw…

Comment

KDE is ugly as sin... must have been designed by your mom.

the hawaii devs were pretty smart, they are using the elementary icons and overall look and feel

nice

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
              KDE is ugly as sin... must have been designed by your mom.

the hawaii devs were pretty smart, they are using the elementary icons and overall look and feel

nice
              agreed, all this fairy shiny blue everywhere in KDE. not to mention default widget theme is making me puke every time i see it. Hawaii seems to be 1st KDE i ever saw and not turn page off asap.

but, with every gnome version becoming even less usable than previous. not to mention atrocious UI design decisions... KDEs faults become less and less important and in 1 or 2 gnome versions i can see my self becoming KDE fan no matter the old faults. if i would take a guess, i'd say gnome people are working towards UI unification where we all end up using KDE

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
                I think Gnome on Wayland should be fully usable when Gnome 3.12 final is released in April. At least for intel and nvidia users.
                gnome and usable.... in same sentence? you meant working i guess, coz i'm really having problem to see

any of these usable. and i was fan of all those apps

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                  I spent a week with Gnome 3... not my cup of tea.

Comment

Working...
                  X