No announcement yet.

Chromium Browser Is Running Great On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried to build chromium for wayland with their instructions, but ... I stopped after it had downloaded 9GB of dependencies, and it wasn't stopping.
    I don't want to replace many of these libraries which are already on my system.

uid313: you're obviously trolling, but let's give an answer:
    What's your measure of performance?
    If it's games fps, then performance should be exactly the same than X Dri3+Present in GPU limited scenarios.

But we can hope having better cpu comsumption / idle time with wayland, and then better battery life.
    And when everything is designed and implemented for several DE, we'll be able to verify that.

We can also hope better user experience with some things beeing better designed, but since everything isn't yet designed, we have yet to see.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
      I've tried to build chromium for wayland with their instructions, but ... I stopped after it had downloaded 9GB of dependencies, and it wasn't stopping.
      I don't want to replace many of these libraries which are already on my system.
      Which chromium version I must compile to add ozone support?

Obs.: the strange 9GB dependencies can be due to develpment options (like the test compile flag). Just supposing.

Comment

I wonder if the GTK3 version of Firefox runs on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          I wonder if the GTK3 version of Firefox runs on Wayland.
          Not right away, since I think it makes quite a bit of X.org calls, but once the GTK3 port is done (and the largest problem was recently resolved, so it shouldn't be long now) then they can get on removing those calls or abstracting them.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
            I've noticed that too. In ubuntu (X.org) it is using window borders, but under wayland they're using client side decorations with no borders, which looks much better in my opinion.
            I don't know if it's better or worse, but what intrigues me is if it's intentional or not. If it's not, it should be filed as a bug.

Comment

According to Intel, the Wayland-capable version of Chromium is still a downstream project with heavy patching needed :https://github.com/01org/ozone-wayland#gardening

Any news or information on when these patches will be committed upstream as part of the vanilla Chromium sources?

Comment

Working...
              X