Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Ubuntu 14.04 Intel XMir Benchmarks

Phoronix: Early Ubuntu 14.04 Intel XMir Benchmarks

While Ubuntu on the desktop won't be shipping with Mir/XMir by default until Ubuntu 14.04, since I did some recent Wayland benchmarks on Fedora 20, I decided to run some benchmarks of Ubuntu 14.04 in its development state when comparing the OpenGL gaming performance of running through the X.Org Server (the default) versus running Unity 7 with XMir.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Obviously there can't be made a direct comparison between XWayland and XMir, because of the different versions of Mesa that has been used for testing. And in the past there has been only made XWayland perfomance tests and not Wayland performance tests. It's a big difference.
    Just to clarify this...

Comment

Pretty decent indeed.

I'm also glad they dropped the idea of running the desktop in XMir.

Comment

Anyone knows how the SDL Mir port is coming along? I think there is already some out of tree code. Wayland support has been merged into SDL2 2 weeks ago and should be available in the next release.

Comment

The performance is impressive considering everything.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Anyone knows how the SDL Mir port is coming along? I think there is already some out of tree code. Wayland support has been merged into SDL2 2 weeks ago and should be available in the next release.
            Brandon Schaefer works on SDL Mir support and he has now a three branches of code. Two for SDL 2 and one for SDL 1.2.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              Obviously there can't be made a direct comparison between XWayland and XMir, because of the different versions of Mesa that has been used for testing. And in the past there has been only made XWayland perfomance tests and not Wayland performance tests. It's a big difference.
              Just to clarify this...
              In this case, wouldn't a percent difference(between Xorg vs Xmir or Xwayland) be the fair comparison between them, even when running different mesa versions?

Or are you saying that changes in mesa to support XMir and XWayland would also contribute to a difference? Just curious, no rhetoric please.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                In this case, wouldn't a percent difference(between Xorg vs Xmir or Xwayland) be the fair comparison between them, even when running different mesa versions?

Or are you saying that changes in mesa to support XMir and XWayland would also contribute to a difference? Just curious, no rhetoric please.
                I believe that there have actually been recent changes in Mesa which improve the performance of Wayland running on top of Mesa. I'd have to dig a bit for specific patches, but I believe this to generally be the case.

Comment

Xmir??

what is the point of using Xmir? i don't see one at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
                    what is the point of using Xmir? i don't see one at all.
                    You don't have a choice with some applications. If the toolkit that the application uses doesn't have a Mir/Wayland backend there is no way you could use it otherwise. Wayland and Mir aren't drop in replacements for X11 and everything just magically starts working on these protocols.
                    Wayland has rather good toolkit support in most modern toolkits without needing out of tree patches. GTK2 and Qt4 will probably never get a backport for Mir or Wayland. Mir has not a good toolkit support in upstream toolkits. Canonical is working on some patches for GTK, SDL etc. Wayland has support in GTK+,Qt5, SDL, EFL, Clutter upstream.

When an application uses X11 calls directly rather than through a toolkit you'd need XMir/XWayland aswell. But almost no apps use the X API directly.
                    Last edited by blackout23; 03 January 2014, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X