Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell Wayland Benchmarks From Fedora 20

Phoronix: GNOME Shell Wayland Benchmarks From Fedora 20

While an X.Org Server is still used by default on Fedora 20 "Heisenbug", Wayland has become a viable option for early adopters and developers wishing to work on Wayland software compatibility and/or testing. All the packages are needed on a Fedora 20 installation to launch a GNOME Wayland session and begin working, including support for XWayland in order to run X11-dependent games and applications.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why is Wayland faster in the GtkComboBox test? Just curious. Is this path in Gtk specificly optimized for Wayland?

Comment

Pretty much everything in this benchmark is effectively testing the overhead of using XWayland, rather than anything to do with Gnome Shell. And that might be reflective of how things work for the time being, but are there any benchmarks that can usefully compare Gnome-on-X with Gnome-on-Wayland, without the bottleneck of XWayland?

Comment

where are the "wayland 4ever - mir suck" comments?

Trolls....

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post

Trolls....
          ...said one troll to another.

Comment

Mir is pure shite. Even if wayland had 50% worse performance I'd still choose it over sucky mir.

Comment

I rest my case, that trolling will never change someone's opinion on a subject.

Further study necessary, but interesting none the less.

Back on topic...as was mentioned in the first comment, these benchmarks almost all test purely xwayland against X11. It'd be nice to see some benchmarks without any X-shims, wayland or mir, though I understand that X-less benchmarks are rare at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                ...said one troll to another.
                Originally posted by xnor View Post
                Mir is pure shite. Even if wayland had 50% worse performance I'd still choose it over sucky mir.
                Am I the "one troll"? If truth about Ubuntu related threads situation is trolling, then I am.

Comment

Am I the "one troll"? If truth about Ubuntu related threads situation is trolling, then I am.
                  Since when was this a Ubuntu related thread?

Comment

It was directed at trolls, and appeared to be a taunting remark, thus troll trolling trolls. o_o

Sorry, I can't keep a straight face after saying that. XD

Comment

Working...
                    X