X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
    I wonder how many of this new features would be added until the first grand desktop environment / Linux distro could release the entire thing in a stable manner.
    Well, that's only to be expected, really. However well designed it might be in theory, no framework is ever good enough until someone has actually tried using it for complex tasks, and started finding and fixing the flaws that are uncovered. Wayland 1.0 was about providing a protocol that was stable enough for other people to try using - not one that completely covered every possible feature that might be needed of it. That's what protocol extensions, and revisions are for.

Leave a comment:

• ssvb
    replied
    Basically, Wayland now got something similar (or something that serves similar purpose) to child windows support in X11.

Leave a comment:

• ua=42
    replied
    I wonder how many of this new features would be added until the first grand desktop environment / Linux distro could release the entire thing in a stable manner.

I mean, Wayland isn't supposed to be a complete and stable protocol at v1.0?
    A ready-now protocol for the desktop and applications?

News like this make me wonder how much it will take to achieve that.
    The thing is. This is not an essential feature for a windowing system. It helps speed up a couple use cases, but wayland would work as a display system without it, just unresized videos would be a little slower.

Leave a comment:

• mrugiero
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post
    Add I understand it this doesn't seem like a corner case to me.
    No, but it is a case that haven't had taken care of in any of the current solutions yet (which mostly limits to X.org).

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Add I understand it this doesn't seem like a corner case to me. For one thing video is an integral part of a computing experience. For another this seems like it only now allows one to handle generic buffer content without incurring a copy penalty.
    I'm not saying going 1.0 without these features was wrong since I trust these devs know what they are doing, only that it SEEMS like it should've been included (well that along with complete input handling).
    Wayland 1.0 never said "All features are covered." or even "The most basic features are covered."

Wayland 1.0 signified they were confident enough in the protocol and how the protocol is written and done that the protocol and client side libraries are now API stable. Before 1.0 the protocol could break at any time for any reason if they needed to.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Add I understand it this doesn't seem like a corner case to me. For one thing video is an integral part of a computing experience. For another this seems like it only now allows one to handle generic buffer content without incurring a copy penalty.
    I'm not saying going 1.0 without these features was wrong since I trust these devs know what they are doing, only that it SEEMS like it should've been included (well that along with complete input handling).
    Well it is a corner case, i mean this does not make videos unplayble or as crappy as X11/flash case. In fact even without this extension Html5 videos plays like heaven with gnome stock browser and wayland.

This extension just make it even more eficient plus some additional corner cases

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    so, in your planet you do things 100% perfect taking care of the 100% corner cases every time at first version?

well here on earth normally you stabilize a protocol core and release an 1.0 release that must work efficiently for most cases and then you later expand it to optimize the less likely corner cases

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied

so, in your planet you do things 100% perfect taking care of the 100% corner cases every time at first version?

well here on earth normally you stabilize a protocol core and release an 1.0 release that must work efficiently for most cases and then you later expand it to optimize the less likely corner cases

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It's great to see so many news about Wayland at Phoronix. I hope nvidia will start to support it soon. I give them time to first Fedora/Wayland release. Otherwise I'm switching to AMD.

Leave a comment:

• DebianLinuxero
    replied
    I wonder

Leave a comment:

Working...
X