Wayland-Based Chromium Browser Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
    For the end user, that means nothing new per se, but possibly more things or better quality things in general (in the future.
    Well, I'd say a tear-free desktop without having to slap this compositor extention hack somewhere into the stack like with X is kindof a big thing for end users.

I somewhere heard that Waylands motto is "every frame is perfect" which is something that sounds pretty cool and desireable for end users.

Comment

Yeah. The big feature for end users is a tear free environment.
      There should be a small performance increase as well.

Comment

Go watch a youtube video and try to scroll the browser page, if you want to see a concrete example of the benefits of Wayland.

Also this is a good reference:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
          Yeah. The big feature for end users is a tear free environment.
          There should be a small performance increase as well.
          And it reduce greatly input latency because there is no Vsync and no need to an additional opengl compositor on top of the display server because the compositor IS the display server.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            Go watch a youtube video and try to scroll the browser page, if you want to see a concrete example of the benefits of Wayland.
            No problem here under Xorg (but I am using compton and the VLC plugin to play youtube videos).

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              That's it. I wonder why nobody talked about that earlier given we are talking about a web browser here.

The big problem with X are sub-surfaces: There are none. Now the flash player has to be a sub-surface on top of the browsers surface. As X doesn't help here at all the browser itself has to ensure the flash surface moves with the browser while you scroll the website. No matter how good the browser tries to handle this: It will always lag behind.
              Wayland on the other side fully supports sub-surfaces and ensures that the flash surface moves pixel-perfect while scrolling.

So: Are there still people telling they can't see the benefits of Wayland for end users, especially with web browsers?

Comment

The old man in me wants to ask: if that's supposed to be a concrete advantage for normal users, why can't those normal users concentrate on that video, but have it both playing (wasting resources) and scroll around ignoring it?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  The old man in me wants to ask: if that's supposed to be a concrete advantage for normal users, why can't those normal users concentrate on that video, but have it both playing (wasting resources) and scroll around ignoring it?
                  Because they can old man.

Comment

because who wants to stop a video just to scroll or move around the window? Also its not a matter of wasted ressources but the fundamental flaw of x11 to keep surfaces aligned like they should and this is just an _example_.

Comment

I sometimes scroll down while the video is playing if it's a song or an informational video that I don't exactly have to watch. But I think this example is just to show an easy way to spot one of the many small issues that build into large annoyances with X11 that Wayland fixes :P

Honestly, I think the major reason I'm looking forward to Wayland is the reduction in server blocking because my computer is old/slow enough that it's noticeable

Comment

Working...
                      X