Video Showing Off Hawaii Desktop Running On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy way to test: the x86_64 Arch repositories

The Hawaii desktop can easily be installed binary on Arch linux. I have tried to play with it some, but there are unfortunately no good instructions for now how to use it as an everyday desktop. Last I checked, you could either run it as non-root under X or start it as root. If there are other instructions around that I have missed, I am interested to know about them

I played with a 3rd variant and made a custom entry in my display manager (I went for KDM) to log in to a "clean" Hawaii desktop as non-root, and then got a small desktop about 1/4th of the screen in the upper left corner (was some time ago I tested this - I will check again).

Comment

right now I'm building the last Maui-project from source, I'll tell how far it goes. Last time I didn't tried it because of the lack of a proper web browser, but now, with ozone-chromium...

Comment

Would it be possible to use it with ArchARM on a RaspberryPI ?

Comment

Eek
          Code:
          | ERROR: oe_runmake failed
          | ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/doom/mauibuildwork/build-poky-x86_64/tmp-eglibc/work/qemux86_64-maui-linux/linux-maui/3.10.3-r1/temp/log.do_compile.23780)
          NOTE: recipe linux-maui-3.10.3-r1: task do_compile: Failed
          ERROR: Task 165 (/home/doom/mauibuildwork/tasks/build/20131112.0/build-poky-x86_64/poky/meta-maui/recipes-kernel/linux-maui/linux-maui.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'

Comment

@1:06, what happened to the "every frame is perfect" concept?!

Comment

Looks like it'll be years before it's in a usable state for most humans who want to use their computers to do useful stuff. Is Wayland really designed for Humans (with a capital)? I bet Samsung would disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                @1:06, what happened to the "every frame is perfect" concept?!
                What's wrong at 1:06?

every frame is perfect means that every frame is shown as it's expected to be, so no tearing and no garbage. It doesn't mean the the content of every frame will be perfect, that's up to the clients and impossible to enforce.

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post

every frame is perfect means that every frame is shown as it's expected to be, so no tearing and no garbage. It doesn't mean the the content of every frame will be perfect, that's up to the clients and impossible to enforce.
                  Yup, I'm actually criticizing the client since it's part of the Hawaii DE, or is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by giucam View Post

Well, that is exactly my experience with using X right now. No tearing no garbage. Nowadays nobody will notice any dramatic difference between waylaid and X

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                      Well, that is exactly my experience with using X right now. No tearing no garbage. Nowadays nobody will notice any dramatic difference between waylaid and X
                      I think the ones who will notice dramatic difference are the developers, and that, in theory, should speed up the progress in Linux GUI in general.

Comment

Working...
                      X