• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by krach View Post
    Thanks for clarifying! So indeed:
    1.) the ssh password is traveling unencrypted from my computer to the gate one server.
    2.) the gate one server needs to process my password.
    Maybe you should put a warning somewhere. I guess the only proper setup would be a trusted server (my own) to which I connect over a trusted network (my lan, certainly not the internet). This limits the applicability quite a bit

It does look very impressive though! But I don't really see the use case for me yet.
    Given that Safari was listed as working "if you don't use a self-signed certificate", I'm assuming that a normal (non-demo) install uses SSL/TLS to encrypt step #1.

That'd mean you don't need a trusted network. You only need to be sure that:
    • The machine you're sitting at has no keylogger (unavoidable requirement unless you're booting something like Tinfoil Hat Linux off a LiveCD and entering your password by selecting letters from a randomly-organized grid)
    • The machine running Gate One is trusted (normally, this would be the same kind of compromise as keylogging the machine you're sitting at since they could just grab things like your SSH private key while installing the keylogger.)

Leave a comment:

• fthiery
    replied
    Originally posted by riskable View Post
    Hey there... I'm the author of Gate One. If you guys have any specific questions about it or the new X11 support just ask away.
    Hi there ; how does your X11 implementation work then ? Are you sending compressed video or real X11 transport over ssh, then display with a js based X11 implementation ?

Leave a comment:

• fthiery
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    Am I the only one who feels HTML has become an operating system? A slow and memory intensive operating system that is?
    Not really (http://nodeos.github.io/)

Leave a comment:

• ArneBab
    replied
    You're probably running into a bug with Firefox that I *just* fixed. If you pull the latest code terminals should open up right away.
    YAY, it works!

Now I just need to manage to teach emacs not to open in terminal mode but in X11-mode ☺

Leave a comment:

• krach
    replied
    Oh, also the demo server is not reachable via https, only http.

Leave a comment:

• krach
    replied
    onkeydown -> send key to server -> send key to terminal program (e.g. ssh client)
    terminal program outputs something -> server converts it to HTML and sends to client -> client draws the HTML
    Thanks for clarifying! So indeed:
    1.) the ssh password is traveling unencrypted from my computer to the gate one server.
    2.) the gate one server needs to process my password.
    Maybe you should put a warning somewhere. I guess the only proper setup would be a trusted server (my own) to which I connect over a trusted network (my lan, certainly not the internet). This limits the applicability quite a bit

It does look very impressive though! But I don't really see the use case for me yet.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by MartinK View Post
    Yep - and not only Android!
    * Python work on the old Nokia Maemo mobile devices (N7XX, N8XX, N900, N9/50) and there are lots of apps using it there, many are in the Ovi store
    * the Nemo mobile open mobile distro also has Python
    * the upcoming Sailfish running on the soon to be released Jolla device has Python & graphical applications using it
    * the BlackBerry 10 mobile OS has Python 3.2 built-in and applications using it are in the Black Berry World appstore
    * the OpenPandora mobile gaming device has Python & Python apps
    * even the late Neo FreeRunner had/has Python

On the other hand, "normal" Java - not counting the Android incompatible flavor - isn't really used anywhere on current mobile platforms. There are is just a community port for the N900 used by a few apps. Don't know of it being used anywhere else.
    Not to mention that, if you want a familiar GUI toolkit, PySide already has instructions for building it against the Android technology preview and efforts are being made to bring Qt itself to iOS in addition to the existing port for BlackBerry 10.

Leave a comment:

• riskable
    replied
    Originally posted by krach View Post
    I'm not sure I get that. So the terminal in my browser window sends my keystrokes (including my remote ssh password) over the 'plain' wire to the web server (python daemon) which processes this and then an ssh connection emanates from the web server to the ssh server that I want to connect to?
    It's not that complicated, really:

onkeydown -> send key to server -> send key to terminal program (e.g. ssh client)
    terminal program outputs something -> server converts it to HTML and sends to client -> client draws the HTML

The complicated bits are the "polish". As in, very few web-based terminal clients let you copy & paste, work with foreign language input mechanisms, display images in terminals, etc etc. All that stuff "just works" in Gate One.

Leave a comment:

• riskable
    replied
    Originally posted by ArneBab View Post
    But installing it locally only took about 15 minutes - yay!

One question which isn?t clear at once: How do I open a terminal? (likely the docs will tell me that in a minute, but this could be more seamless).
    You're probably running into a bug with Firefox that I *just* fixed. If you pull the latest code terminals should open up right away.

Leave a comment:

• riskable
    replied
    Originally posted by ArneBab View Post
    Wow - this is pretty cool!

It might just have answered the question how I can easily collaborate with people on shared projects - at least if I manage to get emacsclient running there.

And AGPL is the perfect license for this - @riskable: Really cool work!

It looks like the Demoserver is a bit overloaded right now, though?
    Thanks. You're right about the demo server, wow. Someone or something was causing the nethack clients to go *crazy* gobbling up CPU. Even after killing them they just kept respawning (people really wanted to play I guess!). It's all taken care of now though if you want to play with the demo.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X