X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@sarmad:
    you write
    "use asm";
    above the asm.js code. If the browser supports it, it will treat the following block of code as asm.js and will try to compile it. if the browser does not support asm.js, the statement will do nothing, but the code will still run (albeit slowly), because it's still javascript after all. Emscripten (the main reason asm.js was invented) uses static typed arrays as memory for the c/c++ program, so i guess they do their own garbage collection inside that array which the browser gives them.

Comment

LOL?!?!?!

Comment

Why not just eliminate the middle man and all the bloat like the web browser and then proxy code, and instead use real native apps with decent performance?

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
          @sarmad:
          you write above the asm.js code. If the browser supports it, it will treat the following block of code as asm.js and will try to compile it. if the browser does not support asm.js, the statement will do nothing, but the code will still run (albeit slowly), because it's still javascript after all. Emscripten (the main reason asm.js was invented) uses static typed arrays as memory for the c/c++ program, so i guess they do their own garbage collection inside that array which the browser gives them.
          Very interesting. So a supported browser is treating asm.js as assembly and compiling it in a way similar to assembly code? I thought the 'asm' part of the name is more metaphorical than actually referring to assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            I don't know about vanilla Java, but Python works just fine on my Android device.
            Yep - and not only Android!
            * Python work on the old Nokia Maemo mobile devices (N7XX, N8XX, N900, N9/50) and there are lots of apps using it there, many are in the Ovi store
            * the Nemo mobile open mobile distro also has Python
            * the upcoming Sailfish running on the soon to be released Jolla device has Python & graphical applications using it
            * the BlackBerry 10 mobile OS has Python 3.2 built-in and applications using it are in the Black Berry World appstore
            * the OpenPandora mobile gaming device has Python & Python apps
            * even the late Neo FreeRunner had/has Python

On the other hand, "normal" Java - not counting the Android incompatible flavor - isn't really used anywhere on current mobile platforms. There are is just a community port for the N900 used by a few apps. Don't know of it being used anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by riskable View Post
              Hey there... I'm the author of Gate One.
              :-D

This is awesome! We always have to use SSH jump hosts to get around the network at work. (It spans most of Africa, so is a very segmented and inconsistently implemented network) Gate One could make this jumping around a lot less tedious :-)

I just very recently started playing with Tornado (a few days ago), and I have to say this is the single most awesome example of a Tornado app I have seen :-)

Comment

Originally posted by MartinK View Post
                Yep - and not only Android!
                You can bundle Python on iOS devices too :-)
                Kivy has done some tools to minimize the size of bundling python for iOS, Android and Meego.

Comment

Wow - this is pretty cool!

It might just have answered the question how I can easily collaborate with people on shared projects - at least if I manage to get emacsclient running there.

And AGPL is the perfect license for this - @riskable: Really cool work!

It looks like the Demoserver is a bit overloaded right now, though?

Comment

Originally posted by ArneBab View Post
                    It looks like the Demoserver is a bit overloaded right now, though?
                    But installing it locally only took about 15 minutes - yay!

One question which isn?t clear at once: How do I open a terminal? (likely the docs will tell me that in a minute, but this could be more seamless).

Comment

Originally posted by ArneBab View Post
                      One question which isn?t clear at once: How do I open a terminal? (likely the docs will tell me that in a minute, but this could be more seamless).
                      Or not: Feedback: GateOne master after `python setup.py --install ; sudo /opt/gateone/gateone.py` only shows an empty workspace with the text ?Gate One - Applications? for me and I did not find out in 10 minutes how to change that. Now the time I can allot for testing ran out?

It looks really cool, but this is a blocker.

Comment

Working...
                      X