Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improvements Coming To Weston's Wayland Back-End

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Improvements Coming To Weston's Wayland Back-End

    Phoronix: Improvements Coming To Weston's Wayland Back-End

    The Wayland back-end to the Weston compositor allows Weston to run inside an existing Wayland compositor, i.e. a nested Weston scenario or running Weston atop a completely different Wayland compositor. A set of 11 patches were published Sunday night for making the Wayland back-end more on par with the X11 back-end...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5NzY

  • #2
    Minimize

    And it still cant minimize windows...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      And it still cant minimize windows...
      ARGH! Please stop we already said why hundreds of times!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Improvements Coming To Weston's Wayland Back-End

        The Wayland back-end to the Weston compositor allows Weston to run inside an existing Wayland compositor, i.e. a nested Weston scenario or running Weston atop a completely different Wayland compositor. *snip*

        http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5NzY
        I thought Wayland was a specification/protocol and Weston was an implementation of the protocol, but this makes it sound like Wayland in a compositor and Weston is a window manager...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gufide View Post
          ARGH! Please stop we already said why hundreds of times!
          Please repeat, I for one don't know and I've been reading the wayland phoronix news. It's such a common functionality that
          the lack of it should probably be explained in the Wayland FAQ.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            Please repeat, I for one don't know and I've been reading the wayland phoronix news. It's such a common functionality that
            the lack of it should probably be explained in the Wayland FAQ.
            Last I checked it was... (interesting thread: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/007814.html )

            -Minimizing- itself, in the simplest of terms, is easy: "Make this surface not-visible". But there's other calls you have to make AFTER its minimized and assumptions you have to make ABOUT its 'minimized' state that may not hold true. So rather than fight and fight over it, they decided "Let the compositors decide."

            One big point of discussion was: if a window is minimized, does it still render? If it doesn't, then when you bring up the window again you'll probably have your last visible frame for half a second, then everything will jump to the newest, updated, frame after rendering is done. Also, you can't have things like window previews of movies and such web pages with video content because the render will have stopped.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

            Comment

            Working...
            X