No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 14.04 Codename Revealed, Mir Haters Attacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He probably works form M$. M$ knows the only thing that can "break" Linux is its fragmentation. I'm sure they spend a lot of money trying to kill Linux. They want us to use the CIA/NSA supported M$ Windows 8.1.

Comment

Why the hate?

Make love not Mir!

Comment

I don't understand why they can not mix it all together for a gorgeous Linux shake. It's like rpm and deb...I only wait for the mixture.

Comment

Why all the fuss?

Why all the hatred and harsh words?
          Competition is never a waste of effort! If anything Linux and BSD made the Mac better, and if it wasn't for that Windows would still be as usable as Windows Millenium because why would Microsoft care about improving their OS if their crap was still selling because of the lack of serious competition?
          And in return, the Linux desktop has learnt a lot from Microsoft and Apple. Would systemd have gained so much momentum if Apple hadn't prove it could be made so much better (just by looking at the first usable PID)? What about the amount of effort involved in having a decent 3D rendering stack & drivers on Linux, would that have happened if it wasn't for Windows' dominance that we all hate so much? Wine is a pretty damn fantastic project by the way. What shall we say about the desktop paradigm that everybody is so used to that everybody kicks and screams when it is changed? I'm thinking about Gnome 3 here. Again, those people disrupt the market, they're innovators, they're shouted at for this reason. Sure they might be doing things wrong (I personally am a big fan) but I'm certain that over time, what they do good will be copied and improved and the outcome will be positive for everybody.
          I don't like the idea of Mir just because of the CLA, as for the rest, I'm convinced they would do at least some good things that will force Wayland to copy an or improve, and that would not happen without Canonical's competition.

I personally thing that BSD (as in a kernel and operating system) is a bloody waste of time an effort from a user's perspective, but I must admit that every now and again (not to say often) they indirectly and directly improve the Linux ecosystem.

But anyway, I'm gutted by all these disrespectful people who insult one another, whichever side they're on. I only have contempt for them and it makes me swing away from these ideas as I don't want to be assimilated to them.

Comment

What happens when you like both Mir and the fundamentals of the Tea Party? The Tea Party is supposed to be about promoting libertarianism - freedom of choice without burden from those that want to tax you for the inabilities of others, whilst still holding the charitable outcomes.

I think the problem is there is only so much to go around, and people have got defensive on their projects when Canonical stepped out and proclaimed the virtues of Mir project, like Wayland team. They probably said to themselves, hey why not help us rather than start a new project...

Comment

By contrast, those same outraged individuals have NIH’d just about every important piece of the stack they can get their hands on…
              Wow... has Canonical really sunk this low? Mark is accusing others of the NIH Syndrome when in fact Mir is the result of NIH (Wayland was released/worked on earlier than Mir, http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551).
              Last edited by j2723; 18 October 2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Shuttleworth:
                Every app developer will consume Mir through their toolkit
                For many it's "shoved mir down their throats", for the rest it's "using mir", nobody is "consuming" software, unless in a feckless PR world.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                  He probably works form M$. M$ knows the only thing that can "break" Linux is its fragmentation. I'm sure they spend a lot of money trying to kill Linux. They want us to use the CIA/NSA supported M$ Windows 8.1.
                  the keyword and probably the thing that is going on with Ubuntu here is fragmentation.
                  that was the first and only word that came to my mind when I read the article.

too bad that there are people who work and contribute code to this monster that is changing with the publicity it gets(by public acceptance of-course).

I don't oversee the fact that Ubuntu brought people to Linux just by simplifying things, but with a great name, that Ubuntu has become, comes and great responsibility and they don't seem to be any responsible and as a result thankful to the Linux community.

Comment

"The Community" said similar things when Novell made a patent license agreement with Microsoft.

The CLA is no problem. The FSF does the same thing, and if you have something interesting to add to Mir, just fork it, it's GPLv3 code. Look at Cinnamon or Mate, more crap on the desktop ecosystem because they don't get well together, they have subjectively different goals although the final commitment is the same.

Comment

As a staunch believer in the 'survival of the fittest' and 'don't like it then fork it and let the community pick the winner' when it comes to the open source I have no problem with Mir, what I think was the big uproar when it was introduced was the stated reasons for doing it, which were nothing but a bunch of lies.

They (Canonical) want a stack which they control from top to bottom, upstart, unity, mir etc, and that's their choice and I see no problem with that. But it's certainly hilarious when Shuttleworth then accuses others of NIH syndrome, I mean seriously wtf?

Also this kind of lashing-out response from him indicates that he is under some pressure in regards to Mir, perhaps not surprising as the rest of the Linux ecosystem seems to align behind Wayland.

That said I could certainly see myself using Mir if it ends up being the better choice for my needs, or if it emerges as the de facto standard new display server. I don't expect it to happen though, as again Wayland seems to have a lot more developer mindshare behind it.

Comment

Working...
                      X