Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland-Based Hawaii Desktop Planned For Fedora 22

Phoronix: Wayland-Based Hawaii Desktop Planned For Fedora 22

With the upcoming Fedora 20 release there is an early tech preview experience of Wayland with the GNOME Shell. Already expressed as a possibility is having Wayland be the default display server over the X11/X.Org with Fedora 21 about six months later, but there's now already talk of another Wayland-based desktop coming around Fedora 22...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE Frameworks 5

Michael:
    KDE Foundation 5
    you probably meant "KDE Frameworks 5".

Nice to see however that lower Tiers of KDE Frameworks 5 are already considered for use in Hawaii Desktop and LXDE-qt / Razor. That means that the modularization / merging into Qt idea is already coming to fruition even before the first official alpha release.

Comment

Only desktop environment or window manager that will work natively on Wayland will be GNOME and KDE and Enlightenment.

It would be nice to see Xfce, LXDE, Razor-qt be ported to Wayland too.
      And window managers such as Blackbox, Openbox, Fluxbox, ratpoison, wmii, dwm, awesome, stumpwm, Xmonad, i3, sawfish, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Only desktop environment or window manager that will work natively on Wayland will be GNOME and KDE and Enlightenment.

It would be nice to see Xfce, LXDE, Razor-qt be ported to Wayland too.
        LXDE/Razor-qt (they have merged) may use the frameworks 5 version of kwin. At least kwin developers seem to want to at least make this feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          LXDE/Razor-qt (they have merged) may use the frameworks 5 version of kwin. At least kwin developers seem to want to at least make this feasible.
          The replies I've read from the LXDE/Razor side were positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            The replies I've read from the LXDE/Razor side were positive.
            That is good to hear. I didn't know so I didn't feel justified in speaking for them.

Comment

Working...
            X