Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chromiumfreak
    replied
    I was googling more about ozone-wayland and came across the project page in https://01.org/ozone-wayland
    and a blog posted today https://01.org/ozone-wayland/blogs/k...lcome-our-blog

01.org seems like an online presence for all intel open source projects. I am happy to see that it's not a one time code drop but Intel would be actively working on this.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    Same here, feels bad that Intel decided to go with Google instead of Mozilla...
    I'm pretty sure the reason why Intel ports Chromium is because Tizen IVI uses Qt and Digia is leaving WebKit for Chromium for web support in Qt 5.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by bkor View Post
    Do you have any specifics that it is not the case? AFAIK, Chromium uses sandboxes making it more secure than Firefox. Firefox is still planning to do the same.
    True, but Chromium is willingly malicious, as evidenced by its enabled-by-default data leaks. Pick your poison.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    By default Chromium still contains code, that can't be user disabled, that sends data back to Google, the only difference is that it can be stripped out and compiled at the source level (which almost no one does).

That alone is enough to make me wary of whatever web browser Google is offering.
    Did you read that? It was a bug that was reported and fixed. More than 3 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• bkor
    replied
    Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    I'm not saying Chromium is insecure, but saying it has better security than Firefox is just outright zealotry right there :/
    Do you have any specifics that it is not the case? AFAIK, Chromium uses sandboxes making it more secure than Firefox. Firefox is still planning to do the same.

Leave a comment:

• Daktyl198
    replied
    Originally posted by hooluupog View Post
    Chromium is not a proprietary software and its performance, security on linux are far better than firefox.
    Just like I told the last person: on my computer, Firefox outperforms (and out-does on a visual scale) chromium/Chrome BY FAR.

And "Chromium's security ... far better than Firefox"... really? Does somebody have their head stuck up their ass? I mean, it is the Phoronix forums but I didn't think it could get this bad.

I'm not saying Chromium is insecure, but saying it has better security than Firefox is just outright zealotry right there :/

And don't tell me I don't know what I'm saying, I used Chrome/Chromium for two years (on Linux) before switching back to Firefox and I still have it installed and updated. I use it for testing and for general use to see how new versions perform.

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Originally posted by hooluupog View Post
    Chromium is not a proprietary software and its performance, security on linux are far better than firefox.
    By default Chromium still contains code, that can't be user disabled, that sends data back to Google, the only difference is that it can be stripped out and compiled at the source level (which almost no one does).

That alone is enough to make me wary of whatever web browser Google is offering.

Leave a comment:

• hooluupog
    replied
    Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Just think about this:

Google Chrome is a proprietary software from a country where a government facility can legally force any company to install a backdoor and to keep it secret.

Leave a comment:

• Daktyl198
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    On Linux, Chromium/Google Chrome destroys Firefox even without Aura.
    You and I are OBVIOUSLY running different set ups. On my computer Firefox starts in less than a second while chrome usually takes ~1.2-1.5 seconds to start, pages render faster in Firefox and not only that, they render BETTER. Especially fonts. I don't even know how Chrome got so popular with the shit font-rendering it has...

Leave a comment:

• MartinN
    replied
    now if we could just replace Android on every phone with a Wayland-based Chrome OS ... and we're talking .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X