No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop Will Not Use XMir By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news, guess I don't have to avoid 13.10 after all.

Comment

Every time I read a story like this I imagine Nelson from the Simpsons coming by to point and laugh at Canonical.

Comment

They should skip trying do run the entire desktop on top of XMir, compatibility mode should only be used for legacy applications.
        Pushing everything trough XMir gives no benefit to the end user over just simply running Xorg.

And Canonical please make 14.04LTS a decent stable release. I'm tired of running and supporting half baked software for the last three years.

Comment

The way Canonical is developping Ubuntu in general and Display in particular is just non-sense.
          How can you take such a big decision 15 days before the release ? For a component as critical as the display server ???

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
            Even if it's "ready" for 14.04, they'd be stupid to use it in a LTS version for the first time ever. I think they're stuck to waiting until 14.10 now, and hope it will be fully stable by 16.04 LTS.
            I think it would be stupid to use XMir for desktops at all, specially in a LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
              This is what I don't get. If Mir needs extra time and they really want it in for the LTS, why not simply push back the date and have 14.06 or something?
              Originally posted by F i L View Post
              ^ this.

Seriously, all major consumer linux distros should adapt a rolling or half-rolling release model.
              No. Companies like System 76 hugely benefits by having a stable release model so they know when
              then can promote a new OS or how long the current version will be supported.

Comment

So after all the chest-thumping and hoof-stamping, Canonical has admitted that they can not pull off a miracle and are going to let Wayland get in the hands of users first? I know Fedora is simply going to be offering a technical preview with 19 and will not ship it by default until Fedora 20 (which will likely be released after Ubuntu 14.04) but considering XMir is basically just an insincere confidence trick, I do not think we need make the big distinction.

Comment

X is the wave of the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatf View Post
                    Sad Trombone
                    You mean this

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                      They stopped caring about desktop market share a while ago. That's why they closed the bug #1 after all.
                      That's pretty brutal.... made me laugh out loud tho .

Seriously, RedHat or Intel or maybe the Linux foundation where Linus is currently employed should reopen that bug and keep in existence as an inspiration to all the people who are committed to the future of the Linux desktop, and the future of the next heavyweight winner in all OS categories, server, desktop, mobile, whatever.... (EDIT: current in some, i.e. server, mobile)

Comment

Working...
                      X