Chromium Ported To Wayland, Now Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
    For the good of Linux? The reason Linux is everywhere is because of so-called fragmentation not in spite of it. If it where not for fragmation you or me would be running Linux in the first place.

Long Live MIR and Wayland and may the best Display server win.
    Oh, right. Let's see, where Linux is, and what's relevant on those areas.

Cellphones? Mostly Android. There isn't other currently successful distribution on cellphones/tablets. Fragmented? Nope, only one environment and toolkit.
    Servers? Mostly non graphical, while the most important part of fragmentation comes from toolkits for graphical apps, so the fragmentation (as in different options for frameworks making a lot of apps incompatible or to require loading several libs that does roughly the same thing) is near zero.
    Desktop? Less than 4% market share, at most (so, clearly not "everywhere"), where there is a graphical UI that is highly fragmented between several toolkits. Mostly between GTK and Qt, but there are other options out there.

Then, one could argue about workstations, but I don't really know what is used there aside from a desktop. AFAIK, most uses Red Hat, which I guess implies GTK/GNOME and trying to avoid fragmentation would mean a better experience in such setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Quote:
      Code:
      > Does this means that if Firefox is ported to GTK+ 3, Firefox will run on
      > Wayland?

These two things are unrelated.
      https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699#c62
      If the toolkit supports Wayland, the application supports Wayland too.

Or maybe the another part of this question is the rendering engine (in this case, Gecko)...

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
        Long Live MIR and Wayland and may the best Display server win.
        It isn't even about that. Mir is Ubuntu/Unity-only, Wayland is for everyone else. Problem is that Canonical is not developing Mir in a way that would make it suitable for anyone else to use. Whereas Wayland is designed to run everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post

Cellphones? Mostly Android. There isn't other currently successful distribution on cellphones/tablets. Fragmented? Nope, only one environment and toolkit.
          Servers? Mostly non graphical, while the most important part of fragmentation comes from toolkits for graphical apps, so the fragmentation (as in different options for frameworks making a lot of apps incompatible or to require loading several libs that does roughly the same thing) is near zero.
          Desktop? Less than 4% market share, at most (so, clearly not "everywhere"), where there is a graphical UI that is highly fragmented between several toolkits. Mostly between GTK and Qt, but there are other options out there.

Then, one could argue about workstations, but I don't really know what is used there aside from a desktop. AFAIK, most uses Red Hat, which I guess implies GTK/GNOME and trying to avoid fragmentation would mean a better experience in such setting.
          Cellphones: Jolla is going to launch their Sailfish phone, with Wayland. If you think Jolla is a small company, another small company called Samsung is going to launch a Tizen phone with their custom interface, and Wayland upgradeability.
          Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 23 September 2013, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            I'm fully aware of all of those projects. That's why I explicitly said "currently successful". Those products aren't finished nor distributed yet. Also, how much market share is expected?

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
              You are aware that one can build a wayland web browser in Qt since a few months, right ? QtWebkit works with Wayland.
              So does WebKitGTK+ and Epiphany (minus few features that still need to be worked out).

Comment

Wayland isn't a display server you morons.... And you will never just switch Mir out with it like you can switch out browser. So the "more choice is always better" arguments is only for people who have no clue what they are talking about.

Comment

I hope Firefox will be more DE neutral as GTK apps arent realy neutral.
                  In my opinion they should replace Xulrunner with a multiplattform toolkit like Qt as it would reduce their code to maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                    I hope Firefox will be more DE neutral as GTK apps arent realy neutral.
                    In my opinion they should replace Xulrunner with a multiplattform toolkit like Qt as it would reduce their code to maintain.
                    I agree with this. Almost all applications I use are GTK apps (Or use GTK as in the case of XUL apps). I don't like GNOME so when Wayland hits, I hope a lot of applications move to Qt. Because I don't think Xfce will switch to Wayland anytime soon, so I'll have to leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post

IDK what you were trying to get at there, My point was is Linux was born out of fragmation and fragmation is why Linux is everywhere, people who bitch about anything in the Linux world becoming fragmented should just stick to Windows or Apple.

Comment

Working...
                      X